More Settlers -- The First Decade
1899 brought much activity to the Valley. The families already here moved on to their own homesites, men who had drawn for lots returned with their families, new families came to obtain land for themselves, and other men came to prepare for their families to come later. Houses, gardens, planting, plowing, irrigating and the simple need to make a living all competed for attention. 1899 saw the beginning of the organization of the church. The first school was held in 1899. Each of these topics is treated separately in other sections of this history. This section is concerned with the people who came to Lund in those first years. The settlement of Preston is given in another chapter.
Towns have personalities. The character of a town is determined by many factors, location, resources, occupations, climatic conditions, but most of all by people and their interactions. History sometimes tends to lump people into groups. They came as individuals, contributed their time, efforts and talents as individuals, and the resulting entity was Lund, much like thousands of small settlements all over the United States but nevertheless unique. Whether they stayed or moved on each one left his mark. I knew most of these people as individuals, others by word of mouth and research and the coming of each was an event.
James Judd writes that it was necessary for his father, Thomas Judd to sell his home in St. George in order to have money to invest in the new venture. This he was able to do in the spring of 1899. A direct quote from James Judd's account.says, "Father purchased the Home Ranch at Lund, Nevada, which contained several log cabins, corrals, and about 100 acres of farm and pasture land." Thomas Judd brought his first wife, Mary Jane Ashworth Judd, and children, John, James, Joseph, Kate and Robert. Robert or Bert was the son of his second wife, Mary Agnes Lund Judd, who died in July of 1898, after he received his appointment but before he brought his family to Lund. Ella Baxter, who had become much like a member of the family since she went to work for them when her father died and her mother moved away from St. George, accompanied the Judds when they came to Lund.
Most of the Mormon settlers in the area had polygamy somewhere in their family backgrounds. As has been noted Thomas Judd had two wives. Two other men who came early brought two wives and two families to the Lund settlement. William A. Terry, who had come first in April, 1898, brought his first wife, Martha, and children, Ella, Marion, Ellis, Rose and Glen, early in 1899, to live in the log cabin he had built the winter before. Later in 1899, he brought his second wife, Mary, and children, May, Emma, Marilda, George, Wilford, John, and Veda. There is also earlier mention of Edmund A. Hendrix Sr. who brought his first wife, Mary Ellen, and family probably late in 1898, and it was also noted that he brought the oldest son of his second wife at that time. Sometime in late summer or fall of 1899 he brought his second wife, Priscilla, and the rest of her family, Loren, Roy, Philo, William, Orvil and Zella.
It is probable the Harrisons came early in 1899, Moses W. Harrison, his wife, Louisa Ashby Harrison, and children La Veta, Zella, and Ashby. They had moved a house in from Taylor, added on to it with adobes, and were well established by fall so that the first school, which was held that year was held in their home. It is probable that George (Dard) Ashby, brother to Louisa Harrison and Bryant (Byze) Ashby, also came at this time.
About June of 1899, Lafayette Carter, wife, Alice, and children, Vera and Arthur, came to the Valley. Arthur had been born in March while Lafayette and his brother James (Jim) were in White River arranging to purchase the land they had drawn the previous fall. They, too, came with all their belongings, leading the inevitable cow to furnish milk.
Jacob Gubler arrived from Santa Clara with his wife, Agnes, and children, Raymond and Ina, late in June of 1899. They had two wagons of furniture, fourteen chickens and fifteen dollars. This is noteworthy in that Jake Gubler built his holdings into one of the biggest cattle operations in eastern Nevada. At this time, however, when Carters saw them drive into town or the beginnings of a town, they ran to invite them to dinner. Alice Carter had prepared rabbit and dumplings.
Also in June of 1899 the S. A. Gardner family arrived from Pine Valley, Utah, Samuel Alonzo, his wife, Alice, and children, Claude, Julius, Leo, Martin (Mart), Neil and Ruth. Mart, a boy of seven, was on crutches, crippled by spinal meningitis. His legs were virtually useless but he rode a horse and engaged in all the normal activities of a boy in a pioneer environment. He spent his entire life in Lund and his unique history helps to give Lund its special character.
Heber Smith, his son, Arthur, and George Fawcett came in March of 1899. Sam Judd also came at this time and drove a small herd of cows for George Fawcett and left them at Lanter's ranch in Cave Valley. Heber Smith's family came some time later. The family was his wife, Bertha and their two little girls, Isabel and Mona, and also Ethel, Arthur, Zina and Ross, children of Heber's former marriage.
John Horsley, his wife, Frances Jane, his son, John P. Horsley, and daughters, Frances and Jemima also came in 1899. They had a young girl, Hannah Jensen, with them. And Joseph Judd, brother of Thomas Judd, probably came from Manti in 1899.
George and David Gardner came to White River from Pine Valley in October of 1899 to bring their cattle and make arrangements for land and homes. In December David went back to Pine Valley and married Ruth Burgess and they returned to Lund in January of 1900. They owned a team, harness and wagon, a few personal belongings loaded in the wagon and $60. They lived with David's half brother and Ruth's sister, Alonzo and Alice Gardner, while their own log cabin was being built.
Other members of the Burgess family also came in 1900, George and Rhoda Burgess, sons, Willard, Clarence and Ernest, daughter, Lucy, a married son, George Edward, his wife, Emily, and children, Lillie, Aggie, Dora and Edward. Orrin Snow, who was married to another Burgess girl, Ella, and children, May, Reuben, Afton and Golden also arrived in 1900.
Ephriam Oxborrow returned to St. George in January, 1900 and brought his mother, Mary L. Oxborrow, and the other members of his family who had not come earlier, Ted, Mollie, and La Vera. Mary L. (Grandma) had shown a remarkable talent for nursing and had been set apart before leaving St. George as doctor and midwife for the new colony.
In April, 1900, the Peacock family came from Manti, Oliver and Charlotte with children, Lenore, Merlin, Lila, Carlyle and Eugene. Ed Funk and Alex and Robert Reid traveled with them. Ed Funk settled in Preston and for a short time the Peacocks also lived there before moving to Lund. The Reid brothers arranged to buy land in Lund and began to build adobe houses in adjoining blocks to be ready for their families to come.
Amos Gardner came from Pine Valley in the spring of 1900. He had one horse and borrowed another from his father. He also had a broken down wagon and five or six head of cattle. His family at the time was his wife, Jane, and children Victor, Thora and Leah.
The Mathis family came in July, 1900, from Ursine, Nevada where Isaac (Ike) had been working in the Delamar mine. They welcomed the opening of the area to colonists as an opportunity to get away from the unhealthy conditions of the mine. They were Isaac and Alvira Mathis and children, Etta, Ida and Henry.
George and Rebecca Sinfield and children, Mary, Samuel, Elvin, Fernley and Rosco came from Pinto, Utah in July, 1900. Unlike many of the women who expressed disappointment or dismay at the desolate scene, Rebecca exclaimed when she got her first view of the Valley, "Oh, this is where I want to spend the rest of my life!" which she did.
Sometime in 1899 or early 1900, Joseph and William Vance came to the Valley, took up some lots and made a shelter for their family to come later. Sarah Vance (McKenzie) stated that she came in November, 1900 to cook for her brothers. She stayed only a brief time. Then, or very soon after, Joseph and William brought their parents, William A. and Hannah Vance, and their sisters, Elizabeth (Lizzie), Nora, and Minerva. John Vance probably came at this time too.
In December of 1900, Alex Reid went back to Manti and brought his wife, Ann Elizabeth and their children, Jessie, Margaret (Maggie), Gordon (Mick) and Hugh. They drove a sizable herd of cattle with the help of two nephews on horseback who accompanied them. Each night they looked for a sheltered camping spot in a canyon or ravine to make it easier to keep the cattle from straying.
It is probable that Robert and Dinah Chadburn and also Teddy Cripps and his family came in 1900. There were other families who came about this time, stayed a year or two and left, Henry and Carey Jacobsen, the Arthur Brackens, the Levitts and perhaps others.
Robert (Bob) and Sally Ruppe lived at different times in Preston and Lund and on a little ranch south of Lund and across the valley west of Riordan's. The children who came with them were Edith, Alpha and Virgil.
In 1901 Robert Reid brought his wife Mary (May) and children, Mazie, Robert, Steel and Mildred the latter part of June arriving July 1. They drove a small herd of range cattle and a Jersey milk cow with the help of a nephew, Royal Reid. They also had a flock of chickens. On the way the baby, Mildred, learned to walk on her first birthday trying to catch the chickens that were turned out of their crates each evening to feed and scratch. May had her first introduction to the people of Lund at a Fourth of July meeting a few days after her arrival. She says, "It was held in the middle of a hay field. We sat on the great log sleepers fresh from the canyon and listened to a splendid patriotic program with such music and singing. The afternoon to me was a get-acquainted party and I thought Lund a great little town."
Frank and Ellen Bryner and children, Hardy and Gwenny, and Frank, a son of Frank Sr. and his first wife, may have come in 1901.
In December, 1901, George Gardner went to St. George and married Belle Forsythe and brought her to Lund in January, 1902. They were somewhat more liberally endowed with worldly goods than many of the early settlers having a wagon load of furniture and wedding presents and some new furniture they had ordered from Salt Lake City which they picked up at Modena. Among their new furniture was a Charter Oak cook stove, table, chairs, bed and sewing machine. One of their wedding presents was a horse and saddle given to them by Belle's father. At Modena they met Lafayette and Alice Carter with their children, Vera and Arthur, on their way back to Lund after a visit to St. George and they traveled the rest of the way with them. George had told Belle of the log house with the picket fence he had bought from Joseph Judd. She hid her disappointment when the picket fence turned out to be a stockade fence made with cedar posts.
Claude Fawcett told of the trip his family, George Sr. and Louisa, and children, Clara, John, Claude, Ada and Edward, made from Price City, Utah to Lund in 1902. George Fawcett Sr. drove a two-span team of horses pulling two wagons, and John drove another team with one wagon. Claude rode a horse and drove a cow and a heifer all the way with some help from his brother, Ed. They also brought a hen with a brood of baby chickens.
Robert and Sarah O'Donnell with children, Catherine (Cassie) and Loren came to Lund from Parowan, Utah in 1902. They left after a year but came back later and bought the first home John Whipple moved in from Taylor.
John and Annie Lee came to Sunnyside from Panaca in 1902 and to Lund a year later where they lived for about two years before moving to Preston.
In 1902 Thomas Judd left to go back to La Verkin. When he left after four and a half years, he left a community that had grown, not precipitously but steadily and was still growing. In reporting on his work he said, "The town of Preston was settled with about 25 families, also Lund with about 75 families, then Georgetown adjoining Ely with 25 families." That same year Georgetown was sold to the New York and Nevada Mining Company and the Morleys and Petersens moved to Preston.
Thomas Judd sold the Home Ranch site with the beautiful big new home he had built and the farm to Adolphus R. (Dolph) Whitehead. A. R. Whitehead had visited White River twice as a representative to the wards from the St. George Stake authorities. Liking what he saw, in October of 1902 he brought his wife, Eva, and children, Emma, Reta, Rennie, Eva, Owen and Wilby to their new home. Gladys, the oldest, was left in St. George to finish the school year and came out the next spring.
During that first decade, Lund had been contributing its share to Nevada's vital statistics with the usual marriages, births and deaths.
Lillian Ashby (Sinfield) was the first child born in the new colony. She was born January 25, 1899 to Bryant and Lillian Ashby in one of the Home Ranch buildings with Delle R. Ivins as midwife. The second child was Leone Whipple (Riordan) born to John L. and Rose Whipple July 4, 1899. The third, Bliss Ivins (Jones) was born to William H. and Delle R. Ivins October 6, 1899. After that children came with predictable regularity and Lund, like most Mormon communities became known for its large families.
During this time of colonization romance blossomed and a number of marriages added more new families to those moving in. The first were John P. Horsley and Hannah Jensen who were married in September, 1899. George Fawcett Jr. and Ella Terry were married in February of 1900. In 1901 Marilda Terry and Orson Lauritzen of Preston were married and about that time her sister, May, and Orson's brother, Peter Lauritzen were married. Another sister, Emma Terry also married a Preston man, Will Bradley. George Oxborrow and Ellen Wakeling were married in January of 1901 and Ephriam Oxborrow and Lucy Hendrix were married in March, 1901. Jack Oxborrow and Ella Baxter were married in 1903. George Terry and Anna Jensen, sister to Hannah Horsley were married about 1903. Earl Ashworth and Mollie Oxborrow were married in 1905 and Ted Oxborrow and Zina Smith in 1907.
Deaths inevitably brought changes. The first was the baby of Otis and Susie Terry who was buried in Otis Terry's field because there was no cemetery. A baby born to Oliver and Charlotte Peacock was buried there also. When the baby of George and Belle Gardner died in January of 1903, a plot of ground south of town had been set aside and was dedicated before the baby was buried. Alex Reid died in April of 1903 and was the second one to be buried in the cemetery. A number of widows were left to carry on during those first years. Frank Bryner died in 1905. Isaac Mathis and Lafayette Carter were victims of "Delamar dust" (silicosis) contracted by workers in the gold mine at Delamar. Isaac Mathis died in 1908 and Lafayette Carter in 1911. Two young girls died in 1907, La Vera Oxborrow and Lila Peacock. Ella Snow, wife of Orrin Snow, died in 1908.
The cemetery plot was brushland that had to be cleared as new graves were made. There was no provision for irrigation and for a number of years it was a desolate looking spot. In February, 1961 a well was drilled and arrangements made for a sprinkling system. A cemetery committee was appointed with a secretary, yearly fees were charged and a caretaker hired. Grass and shrubs have replaced the sagebrush. Margaret Gubler was appointed as secretary. With systematic records and careful research she has compiled a complete list of names and vital statistics for everyone buried in the cemetery. This will be micro-filmed and placed with the church records in Salt Lake City.
A few more people came the latter part of the decade. Webster (Jim) Ashworth came in 1906 to visit his brother, Earl, and remained. The William Hansens and children, Berenice and Glen, moved in and kept the post office for a time. Henry Gubler came to work for his uncle, Jacob Gubler, later acquired a farm and married Elizabeth (Lizzie) Vance in 1908. The name, Hutchings, was added to the town roster about 1908 when William (Will) Hutchings came to the area and married Emma Whitehead in 1910.
C. L. (Leslie) Rowe came to the area from Reno about this time and started a store in the adobe house Teddy Cripps had built for himself. Later he went back to Reno, married and brought his wife Gladys.
The greatest influx came in the first four of five years after the area was opened up for colonization. For the remainder of the decade fewer families moved in, not because there was not plenty of land available but water was limited. There were some changes and shifts in population already here. A number of families left, some after only a year or two, Chadburns, Leavitts, Cripps, Jacobsens, Brackens, the Sam Judds, Bryners and Hansens. John Horsley Sr., Bob Ruppe and Ray Lee moved to Preston.
John Whipple acquired the Pete North ranch on White River in 1903 and sold it to John Moffit and Joseph Judd who lived on it a few years before they moved away. The ranch passed through a number of hands, Barnes, Hermansen, Berryman before it was sold to Tom Rosevear.
Amos Gardner bought the Forest Home ranch from James Riordan (uncle of Jim Riordan of the Emigrant Springs ranch) who had moved to Elko in 1898. This transaction is recorded in 1903. The Amos Gardner family lived on the Forest Home ranch for many years. In 1904 John Whipple bought the Horton ranch at Sunnyside where he lived for many years and raised his family there. In 1908, after the death of his father,Michael Riordan, James (Jim) Riordan and his wife, Jennie, returned with their four children, Francis, Ethel, Emmet and Loretta, and took over the Emigrant Springs ranch.
The decade ended with the departure of Orrin Snow. He had been Bishop of the ward from the time Bishop Judd left in 1902 until 1910, active in religious, civic and business affairs. He was one of the first school teachers and one of the first, among others, to form a cooperative mercantile business, which he later took over and operated until he left the community. When his wife, Ella, died leaving a large family including a new baby, May Reid cared for the baby, Ann, for most of the first year. After that, with the help of a housekeeper, he cared for his family and ran the store in addition to his duties as bishop. Later he married Vilo Redd. She was a sister of Delle R. Ivins and was teaching school in Preston at the time. Shortly after they were married they moved with their family to Raymond, Alberta, Canada in 1910.