Grandpa and Grandma Wakeling came to Lund in 1898 to help settle White River Valley. They brought their family with them: Ellen, Allen, Thomas, and James. Maude and Lillian were married and Lillian was in Lund when they came. Maude stayed in Dixie.

Their first home was made from sod cut from the pastures west of town. They lived there until a rock home was built across the street. The rock house has since been torn down.

They acquired some farm land and raised cattle. They had a milk cow, chickens and raised a vegetable garden. Grandpa was very neat. He kept his lot clean, his lawn mowed and trimmed, and his tamerisk hedge trimmed to perfection. His lot was always pretty and weeded. When they got older, Grandpa always helped Grandma with the housework. They had to carry their water from the ditch. He always saw that there was water to use. He kept the old black cook stove shining.

Grandpa Wakeling was Ward Clerk when Lund was made a ward. He served as school trustee for many years. He was County Commissioner and Sheriff. Grandma was counselor to Mary Judd in the first Relief Society. She also served as counselor in the Relief Society to Emily Burgess. In 1908, she was made President of the Primary and served for six years. In a history that Belle Gardner wrote, she said Grandma was an Angel of Mercy. She was always ready and willing to help in time of sickness or trouble. She was a teacher in Relief Society for many years. Grandma had very little schooling but acquired an education by self effort. One lady said, "Sister Wakeling was the most cultured and refined lady she had ever met." Grandma served on a committee to buy some ground to put a building on for the Relief Society.

Grandpa and Grandma were both born in England. They were also married and had four children while they were living in England. Their first baby, a boy, died at age four years. Grandma was so sad about it and could not be consoled. The Mormon missionaries visited them and gave her so much hope that they became interested in the Church and were baptized. Grandpa could not get work after he joined the Church. It has been told that Grandpa was a jockey in England, but it had been refuted by one of the relatives. It was a disgrace at that time in England to join the Mormon Church. Their families disowned them.

John W. Young, Brigham Young's son, the missionary who converted them, sent money for them to come to America with the promise that Grandpa would work for him when he came over.

They packed what belongings they could take with them and boarded the ship, S.S. Nevada, and sailed from Liverpool on June 29, 1878. They were on the ocean eleven days. The captain of the ship said he felt more secure if they had a company of Latter Day Saints aboard. When they arrived in New York they boarded the train for Salt Lake City; their luggage was sent on another train and they never did see it again. It had some precious things in it that had been given to Grandpa by people that he had worked for.

They lived in Salt Lake City from July 1878 to January 1880, and were then sent to Maricopa, Arizona to work for Brother Young. While there they lived in a dugout and really experienced some hard times. Wilford Woodruff was in Arizona on a mission to the Hopi Indians. He advised Grandpa to go to St. George. They went to St. George and did work in the Temple for their people and themselves. Grandpa farmed in St. George to make a living for his family.

Then World War I ended and the armistice was signed. The people in Lund were so happy about it that they paraded up and down the streets. Grandpa lead the parade, carrying his flag.

They were loyal to their family, their Church, and their country. They were proud to be Americans.

Grandpa died January 27, 1928 at the age of 87. Grandma died September 28, 1932 at the age of 86.

Written and submitted by:
Edith Ashby Reid