James Utley Carter was born August 22, 1877 in St. George, Washington County, Utah. He was a son of William and Harriet Utley Carter and was the youngest of eight children. He was one of a family of twenty, his father having had three wives.

His early days were spent in St. George with his family. Early in his teens he rode the range after cattle for James Andrus and other cattle men in Dixie. He spent several summers at the Ranch-Home in the Pine Valley Mountain where the family had a small farm. There they milked cows and made butter. Uncle Jim often told the story of his father having walked home from St. George to Pine Valley Mountain bringing with him a small bucket of honey in order that they might eat bread and honey together on Uncle Jim's Birthday.

In 1898 when Lund was opened for colonization, James came with his brother, Henry Lafayette, to this valley where they drew for land. James owned the lot where Lafayette and LaRue now live, and some farm land. He, like many other men here freighted in the early years in the valley. In about 1903 he and his brother, Henry Lafayette, hauled some of the timber for the shaft at the Ruth Mine. Jim took a contract to furnish wood for the Ruth mine. His campwas on Copper Flat, where the center of the Ruth Pit was excavated later.

He continued riding horses and later was cattle forman for the Hot Creek Ranch, working for the Adams McGill Company for many years.

He went from this work to California and worked in Hollywood for a Movie Company helping film the pictures and tending horses necessary in the work there. One picture he helped with was "The Birth of a Nation."

He returned from Hollywood in 1915 and went to work for the Geyser Ranch. He was employed there approximately ten years and was there at the time of his mother's death in St. George in 1925. He did not receive word of her passing until the day of the funeral. While still at the Geyser Ranch, he became so crippled with rheumatism that outside work was difficult for him. However, he continued doing ranch work and went from the Geyser Ranch to the Baker Ranch where he worked four more years.

He was well-known by all the cattlemen in this part of the country and well liked by all whoknew him.

At the time he was working on the Baker Ranch there was a doctor from Los Angeles who was working with a Movie Company filming the "Covered Wagon". This doctor, thinking he might help Uncle Jim recover from his rheumatism persuaded him to return with him to Los Angeles. Uncle Jim lived there about five years working for the doctor as office assistant and orderly in the sanitorium.

From Los Angeles he went to Reedley, California where he worked for a Mrs. Darbey doing the cooking and "kitchen work for the hired help on the ranch there.

In 1935 Uncle Jim lived in Reedley, California on an apricot orchard and operated it for several years.

After January 1939, he made his home with Arthur and Dale Carter and family. Uncle Jim was never married. He was very clean about his work and his person. He was very systematical with work. Regularity and promptness characterized his every activity. He had a clear mind and a keen memory. He related incidents and knew the exact dates of each. He was a good cook and an excellent house keeper as well as an excellent cow-hand.

On August 25, 1944, he became very ill and was taken to the White Pine Hospital at Ely, Nevada. He died September 12, 1944 and was buried in the Lund, Nevada Cemetery.

Written and submitted by:
Arthur Nelson Carter
Lafayette Carter
Vera Carter Reid