Isabella Smith was born in 1896 at St. George, Utah. She came to Lund in 1899 with her parents, Heber C. and Bertha Smith, and her brothers and sisters. Like all the families moving to Lund from St. George at that time, they had a lot of work to do. They built homes, fences, barns, stables, cleared and leveled the land in many places. Even though she was very young I'm sure my mother had a lot of work to do as everyone else did.

She went to grade school at Lund and high school at Ely. She and her sister Mona would take turns attending high school in Ely a year at a time, while the other would stay at Lund to help with all the work that had to be done.

My mother met my father, Douglas Kenyon, while she was attending school at Ely. They were married in 1917 and lived in Ely, Salt Lake and Rexburg, Idaho. They were divorced in 1921.

My mother was always very interested in sewing and all sorts of fancywork as they called it in those days. This work included all kinds of uses for cloth, string, thread, yarn, and many other materials to make items for use and decoration in the homes and for clothing. She worked and helped the Church and many different missionaries for many years with this type of work at Duckwater, Nevada in teaching the Indians that live there. She helped them also in teaching the Gospel. Many Indian people at Duckwater and this area think very highly of my mother and they consider her as one of their best friends. She has worked with the people at Duckwater for more than 30 years. She is now 84 years old and just a few months ago was still helping there. After a whole life of sewing and many kinds of crafts she is still very interested in this and it is still avery important part of her life.

She worked when in her 20's at J. C. Penneys and Goodman Tidball stores in Ely, and also did sewing when she could to support herself and two children. Most of her life she has lived in this area, mainly Lund. My mother always saw to it that my brothers and I went to Sunday School, and was always very interested that we did well in school.

When she was near 70 years old the Church called her to a mission in Florida. She worked very hard on her mission and made many friends. Her Mission President and his family thought very much of my mother and after her mission time of 1½ years was up, they made arrangements for her to stay an additional three months. Her Mission President and family now live in Orem, Utah and she visits them whenever she can.

She still does all she can for her four children: Karl, Douglas, Airien and LaMar. She is now in Salt Lake City so that she can be with my stepfather, LeRoy Chesnut. He is in the Veterans Hospital and is very sick with terminal cancer.

While living in Lund LeRoy was converted to the Gospel by her and many of the wonderful people that live in Lund. The Church and the Gospel became very dear to him as have all the people at Lund. He asked me recently to think of the best possible thing I could and say to the people at Lund for him. Even though he is very sick and weak, he got up enough strength and energy to go in a wheel chair to the Temple at Provo to receive his endowments.

Following is an article from the Provo Temple Information Bulletin, February 1, 1980: "A former member of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ was in the Temple January 9, 1980 to receive his own endowments and to have his wife sealed to him. Brother LeRoy Chesnut was born and reared in Missouri, where he joined the Reorganized Church and became a staunch supporter of that belief. About 18 years ago LeRoy moved to Lund, Nevada and soon afterward his wife passed away. He began attending meetings in the Lund LDS Ward where he was made welcome and lived the gospel principles, but was reluctant to be baptized. He later married a woman who had previously filled a mission and they attended church together and had a very spiritual home life. On a Sunday in January 1979, the Bishop called LeRoy into his office and had a heart to heart talk with him. Telling him that for 16 years he had been living a life of a Mormon and now at the age of 82 it was time to be baptized before it was too late. That night hedid not sleep, but the next morning he announced his decision and within the week, January 13, he was baptized. During the next few months, he advanced in the Priesthood to the office of an Elder, accomplished an amazing amount of genealogy work, taught the gospel to many of his relatives and talked incessantly about going to the Temple. In November he became very ill and was taken to the Veterans Hospital in Salt Lake City where his illness was diagnosed as terminal cancer. Even though his condition grew steadily worse, he still had the determination to receive his blessings in the Temple. With special permission from the First Presidency, LeRoy came in a wheelchair to the Provo Temple four days short of the prescribed year following baptism to receive his endowments and family sealings. About 25 friends and relatives came from near and far to be with Brother Chesnut in what he called the greatest event of his life."

(LeRoy passed away soon after this history was submitted, March 1980.)

Written and submitted by:
Karl Kenyon