Jacob J. and Agnes M. Horsley Gubler were among the group who came to Lund in the spring of 1899 in response to a call by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to colonize this area. Jacob had been out the fall before, drawn his lots and helped lay the foundation for anative rock home. While he was working hard, and batching it, he remembered the kindness of Rose Whipple who offered to furnish him milk that he might enjoy his favorite supper of bread and milk. When spring came he moved his little family to the valley.

Jacob was born in Santa Clara, Utah 22 June 1870, the fourth and last child of Casper and Katherina Gubler, converts to the Church from Switzerland. He spoke the Swiss German language until he started the first grade of school. Soon after that his mother was to say, "I speak to my boys in Swiss and they answer me in English."

Jacob's father took another wife when he was sixteen years of age, and from then on he and his brother, Henry, made the living by growing and peddling fruit. They went as far north as Pioche and other Nevada mining towns to sell their produce. Jacob had expected to be called on a mission for the Church, so was a little hurt when his brother was called instead. However, he carried on alone and supported his brother on his mission to Switzerland.

Jacob loved to read and decided he wanted a little higher education so made plans to attend the B.Y. Academy in Provo, Utah. He wanted to look nice as he traveled by stage the first part of his journey, so put on his Sunday suit. Bob O'Donnel, who later also moved to Lund, was thestage driver, and had had a little too much Dixie wine. The team got too lively, also, and "ranaway" upsetting the coach and its passengers. No one was seriously hurt, but Jacob landed out inthe rocks and tore the seat out of his pants. He had to manage until they got to Modena where hebought a pair of levis and took the train to Provo. Levis in those days were considered the lowestof wearing apparel, so Jacob was real embarrassed to go register in them Monday morning, and didn't lose any time in getting down town to buy a new suit.

His two years in Provo were a highlight in his life; he worked hard to better himself. One of his friends was William Knight, son of Jessie Knight. He became an excellent penman, and formed his ideas on politics there, joining the Republican Party which he always enthusiastically supported from then on, and enjoyed lively political discussions with his friends.

On the 29th of January 1896, he married Agnes Mary Horsley in the St. George Temple. She was born 8 April 1874 in Southport, Lancashire, England, and had come to Utah with her parents when she was four years of age. She could remember the ocean, and folks smiling at herknee length stockings when they arrived in New York. The family settled in Paragonah, Utah,and Jacob had become acquainted with them as he passed through on his peddling trips.

They were now established in a good home in Santa Clara, and had two small children, Ray and Ina, when the call came for volunteers to go to White River Valley to pioneer that area, newly acquired by the Church. Jacob was anxious to go as he said that the farms there weren't large enough to "whip a dog on," but Agnes loved her life there and was very sad to leave her family and friends. Arriving in Lund, they were invited to have dinner with the Alice Carter family; she served rabbit and dumplings. Rabbit was quite a staple food for those early settlers.

The first summer was spent in a tent, which was a great trial to Agnes, as her baby girl, Ina, was at the crawling stage; then the dust blowing from the never ending stream of wagons passing by caused an infection in one of her eyes. She suffered agonizing pain with this and lost the sight of her eye. By fall she was able to move into the rock house which was built by her uncle, John P. Horsley. Here her next 6 children were born.

Jacob worked hard clearing the land, grubbing the brush mostly by hand. He was a large man, six foot two, and was able to do the work of several average men. Edmund Hendrix worked for him occasionally and said of him, "He was the only man I ever knew who always took the hardest job himself." He was a man of his word and honest in every respect. He expected everyone to be as honest as he which often brought him some bad deals. These were the days of wild stock schemes, and when high powered salesmen came to sell him some of these "sure things" he believed what they said and lost his hard earned money on these worthless stocks.

His greatest loss was his investment in the Nevada Hotel. A promoter came to Ely with the great idea of a nice hotel being built there and Jake, with several others, went along with the idea. But it was during the Depression, business was slow and it finally sold at a great loss to the investors, and at a price way below its cost.

When Bishop Orrin Snow moved to Canada, Jake bought his big home in the center of town. It was a "mansion" in those days. The materials had been hauled from Modena, and painters from St. George, the Milne brothers,had done the most beautiful graining and painting of the interior woodwork. It was the first home in town to have running water and a bathroom; so it was the show place of the town. This was in 1910.

Here three more children were born, making eleven children for the couple. Agnes worked hard to care for the family; there was always a hot meal on the table for the children when they came from school at noon. She was an excellent breadmaker and got quite upset when she would discover most of the end crusts missing after school snacks were had. She was the one who got the family going each morning; making the fires, cooking breakfast and calling the family members from their slumbers.

Jake served two terms as County Commissioner, and did good work there as he had no opposition when he ran for the second term. He served as school trustee and on the Lund Irrigation Board for many years and was always interested in civic affairs. The Elementary School building was built while he was trustee at the cost of $6000. That was a real achievement and tells the value of the dollar back in 1914. Jake was anxious that his children further their education and sent them away to school before the high school was organized in Lund.

On January 29, 1946, Jake and Agnes celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary which was a happy occasion. By 'ow Jake's health was failing; he had developed leukemia and he died the following year, 3 Aug 1947, at the age of 77. Agnes lived alone for many years, then sold the big home to her son Ernest, and lived with some of her children until her death 10 Nov 1965 at age 92.

Raymond J. and Ina Sarah were the children who came as pioneers with their parents. Raymond married Aggie Burgess of Alpine, Utah; her parents were also original pioneers of Lund. They were the parents of three children; LeRoy, Fern and Emily. Ray was a farmer, a dairyman and a lover of cars and machinery. He died of cancer at age 61.

Ina remembers many interesting things from those pioneer days and senses the security felt then versus the feeling of living behind locked doors in Los Angeles, Calif. She married J.G.Gilfillan and they were the parents of two children, Mary Ann and J.G. Jr.

Ernest H. was born 3 Nov 1900, the year following their move to Lund. He helped care for his father's cattle and became a successful stockman himself. He married Kathryn Harrison, and they were the parents of three daughters; Marsha, Janice and Pamela. Marsha lived 3 days.


Albert S. was born 3 Sep 1902. He was smaller than the other brothers, and he said it was because he had to do all the hard work. While still a teenager he freighted hay to Ely; driving and caring for a four-horse team, and braving bitter winter weather. He also became a successful farmer and cattleman. He married Ione Hermansen who only lived a few years, then he married Margaret Piercy, a girl who came to teach school in Lund, and remained. They are the parents of two children, Albert S. Jr. and Gertrude. He served as Bishop in the Lund Ward.

Laura was born on her brother's second birthday, 3 Sep 1904. She married Leland Hendrix, and they were the parents of five children; Vaiola, who died at age eleven of pneumonia, Ludean, Elaine, Leland T. and Claire. After moving to Orem, Utah they did a great deal of genealogy and temple work, and Laura gathered the information for, and published a large volume of Gubler history, "TWO GUBLER FAMILIES IN AMERICA 1857-1973".

Mabel was born 18 June 1906. She married Seymour Oxborrow and they were the parents of five children; Clyde B., Wallace, Joan, Shanna and Kathleen. They made their home in McGill.

Alma was born 3 Jan 1908. He married Leah Terry and they were the parents of two children; Max A. and Charles Errol. He helped his father on the farm until his marriage, then went to work for the county as a heavy equipment operator.

Olive was born 15 June 1909. She taught school until her marriage to Lewett Hart. They made their home in Reedsport, Oregon.

Ruby was born 25 Feb 1911. She taught school until her marriage to H. Doyle Wakeling. They were the parents of six children; Ranae, David, Kirk, Craig, Irene and Hal. They moved to Reno, Nevada after selling their dairy farm.

Ralph was born 27 Sep 1912. He wanted to be a farmer and cattleman like his father, but he lost a leg in an unfortunate farm accident at age 17, and decided to try a new profession. He attended barber school and became an expert and successful barber. He married Ida Jensen and they were parents of two children; Dwala and Jake (Jacob).

Ivy was born 26 Aug 1919. After teaching school a few years she married Charles R. York, who came to Lund to teach in the high school there. They were the parents of three sons; Charles Jr., Gerald and Earl. She later married Fred Anderson of Fallon, Nev.

As Jake and Agnes reared this large family they taught them the value of work and tried to teach them by precept and example to be fair in all their dealings, and to be honest and upright citizens of this great land.

Written and submitted by:
Laura Gubler Hendrix