Raymond Jacob Gubler was born December 4, 1896 at Santa Clara, Washington Co., Utah. His father was Jacob John Gubler and his mother was Mary Agnes Horsley. When Ray was 2½ years old he moved with his parents and sister Ina to Lund, Nevada. The first summer they lived in a tent while a small rock house was built. Ray attended elementary school which was near his home. He was baptized July 1, 1905. Ray was the oldest of 11 children so he had much work to do but did find time to play games with his friends. Ray owned one of the first cars in Lund, aModel T. Ford. This was quite a thrill for him.

In the fall of 1919, one of Ray's childhood friends, Aggie Burgess, came back to Lund to visit her sister Lillie B. Smith. He dated her for most of the winter then she returned to Alpine, Utah. They corresponded for several months and then became engaged. They were married June 25, 1920 in the Salt Lake Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah.

Aggie was born September 2, 1894 in Pine Valley, Washington Co., Utah. She was the fourth child of George Edward Burgess and Emily Ann Jeffery Burgess. When she was four years old her parents moved to Lund, Nevada. She attended the Lund Elementary School with one teacher for the eight grades. Later three teachers were needed to handle the growing community. About a dozen families were in Lund for the first winter, all from southern Utah. They enjoyed social life as one big family. Aggie was baptized on her eighth birthday in a pond south of town.

Aggie's family moved to Alpine, Utah in September 1908. Aggie returned to Lund when her sister Lillie had her babies,to help her. Her third visit in 1919 she started dating Raymond JacobGubler. They were married June 25, 1920.

Ray bought a new Ford truck and moved his new wife and her belongings to Lund to start their married life. It took them 3 days to make the trip. They lived in a two room home belonging to Alice Carter and later moved into a rock home of Wakelings. Before winter arrived they had finished their own home and moved into it. It was a four room home built out of cement at the north end of town.

Ray worked for his father who was a farmer and cattle raiser for quite a few years. Later Ray took over part of his father's farm and bought some dairy cows and built a nice Grade A dairy barn. Ray worked on his farm and with his cows until his health made it necessary for him to sell his farm to his son LeRoy and sell his dairy cows.

Ray had a well drilled and water piped into their home making it modern and easier for the family. Ray was a hard worker and kept himself busy all the time. When he wasn't farming he hauled wood and sold ittothetownspeople to burn in their stoves during the long cold winters. When it was too stormy to haul wood he would saw it in lengths to fit into the wood burning stoves.

Aggie kept busy with her family, helping Ray with chores, cleaning the milking machines, cooking for hired men during the haying season. She worked in various organizations in the Church. She was a Relief Society visiting teacher for many years. She was a Counselor in the Lund Primary, also a teacher in Primary and Sunday School and was Relief Society Work Director the last 4½ years she lived in Lund.

Ray's health began to fail and he was unable to lift the heavy milkers and bales of hay so sold his home and farm and moved to Alpine, Utah where he could be close to the doctors. After suffering with cancer for 15 months he passed away November 25, 1957. He is buried in the Alpine City Cemetery.

Aggie made her home in Alpine for 17 years, close to her daughters, brother and sisters, and she has lived in American Fork for the last four years. She has kept busy quilting, embroidery and crocheting. She loves the Church and goes when she is able.

Ray and Aggie had three children, LeRoy H., Fern and Emily. They have 9 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.

Written and submitted by:
Emily Gubler Beck