I was born December 18, 1887 in Pine Valley, Washington Co., Utah, the oldest child of a family of eight. When I was 6 weeks old, my father left on a mission leaving my mother and me for two years.

We lived in Pine Valley until the fall of 1899 when my father bought a small farm in Lund, Nevada and moved his family there. We were about 20 days traveling from Pine Valley to Lund, arriving there Nov. 5, 1899. I cannot describe the shock I received when we arrived at our destination. Pine Valley was a beautiful little town in the mountains with large shade trees one very street and in most yards, apple orchards and other fruit trees were growing. I just didn't understand that people lived in those big open valleys where the wind blew dirt and sand most of the time. There were no trees except a dozen at the south end of town where a spring came up out of a hole in the ground. I had the idea that water always came out of the side of a mountain, cool and fresh instead of so warm that in the winter one could see where the ditch was by the steam arising from the water.

The homes were built from any material available. There were only about two dozen at the time we arrived. Some were built of old lumber that was purchased at Hamilton and others were made of logs and there was one sod home.

The first winter we rented three rooms of a four room frame home from Mose Harrison. The other room was the school. The first year there, we had six weeks of school, the next year we had three months and after that we had six months each year.

In the spring of 1900, my father, who wanted a brick home hired Horsley to make some brick, but there was too much lime in the soil to make a good grade of brick. However, he had a small building 18 ft. by 20 ft. made of these brick and we lived in this for one year. We had curtains to draw at night to make two small bedrooms where my parents, my two sisters Aggie and Dora, and myself had our beds. My two brothers Edward and Herbert slept in a wagon box set on the ground by the side of the house. It had a heavy wagon cover over the bows and the inside was lined with heavy wool blankets. The mattress, made of fresh straw, covered with a heavy quilt and blankets made a warm bed. In the winter they would heat bricks in the oven and take to bed with them. (A good substitute for a electric blanket). This home was sold and Father bought a two room rock home from B. H. Ashby. It had a dirt roof. My father immediately built two log rooms on the back of this. We lived in this home until I was married. I think our experiences and living conditions were very much like the Pioneers had when they first came to Utah.

I was married to Heber Arthur Smith Nov. 27, 1907 in the St. George Temple and we lived in Lund until December 1925. It was here that our first six children were born. We then moved to Alpine, Utah and lived there until June 1926 when we moved to McGill, Nevada. While living here, Kay was born in Preston, and four years later Curtiss was born in East Ely at the Steptoe Valley Hospital. When Curtiss was only 3 months we moved back to Alpine where we had bought my father's old home and farm.

While in Alpine, both Arthur and I were active in the church. I served as head of the cooking committee for several years while we were raising enough money to pay for the new church. The old one had burned down prior to our moving to Alpine. If we made $25 clear on a banquet we thought that was a good profit. I also taught the gospel doctrine class for several years, and my husband and I were called to be stake missionaries. We served in this position for two years and then he was called to the office of Bishop. He served as Bishop for 5½ years when we built a new home in American Fork and moved there. We really enjoyed our home and the 6th Ward.

While in Alpine I held position of President of the Ladies Republican party for two years and was also captain of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers for two years.


Lillie Jeffery Burgess Smith became ill and died August 1, 1960 after having been operated on two months previous. She died at her home in American Fork, Utah.

Written by:
Lillie Burgess Smith

Submitted by:
Belva Smith Bateman