George Alphonzo Terry was born 19 October 1881 in St. George, Utah; the oldest son ofWilliam Alanson and Mary Elizabeth Baker Terry. William had two wives, Martha his first and Mary his second. George's childhood years and schooling were all in St. George.

In 1898 a group of Saints were called from St. George to go to the White River Valley in White Pine County, Nevada to establish the town of Lund. There was a large spring of water and a few settlers already living in the valley. William A. Terry was among those called to go there. He took his son George along with him and went to Lund to get logs out of the mountains to build houses with. They built the first house on the townsite where Lund now stands.

In the spring of 1899, William and George returned to St. George to bring the two families to Lund. They all lived in the log house for a time, then George and his father went to the old mining town of Taylor and bought some old houses, tore them down and hauled the lumber to Lund. They built two houses on two adjoining acre lots; one for Martha and her family and one for Mary and her family. William lived with his first wife after this and left Mary and brood of seven to provide for themselves. Mary's house was a small two room affair and stood where the Lund Ward Chapel now stands.

George, being the oldest son, had to work to help his mother provide for the younger brothers and sisters. He had jobs on ranches in Lake Valley, feeding cattle and cooking for the buckaroos at roundup time. He really became a good cook, his ways with an old Dutch Oven on a campfire could not be surpassed by many. He also worked on the Elison Ranch, helping the Adams and McGill Company with their sheep. During these years three of his sisters had married; Mary Loana to Peter Lauritzen, Emma to Will Bradly and Marilda to Orson Lauritzen. All were married in the Temple. This took some of the load off the shoulders of George so he began to think of finding a mate for himself.

Anna Jensen was born 9 May 1884 in Nephi, Utah; the third of four daughters born to Andrew and Bengtha Swenson Jensen. Her father died when she was three years old. When she was five her mother married again and had two more children. The stepfather, deciding he had too many mouths to feed, made the mother take Anna and her two older sisters away to live with other families and work for their board and keep. Anna never lived at home much after that. She hardly knew her own mother until years later after she grew up. She never had much chance to go to school but had some wonderful foster mothers who taught her the art of homemaking and how to do wonderful handwork, which she did all her life. She made many beautiful quilts, table covers, toys and crocheted items which are now cherished by her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Later on, her oldest sister Hannah married John P. Horsley and moved to Lund to live. In the spring of 1903, Anna went to Lund to live with her sister and help her with her new baby. She worked for others too and stayed on in Lund.

Lund always had a 4th of July celebration. George came home from Lake Valley for the celebration. It was here that he met Anna, July 4, 1903. He took her to the dance that night and immediately fell in love with her. He went back to Lake Valley for a time and courted her by letter. Then he got a job haying for Mike Riordan. When the hay was up he worked for J. J.Gubler until he had earned enough money to get married on.

In December he took his sweetheart, his mother and father and Aunt Martha in two covered wagons and headed for St. George to the Temple. There they were married 10 Dec. 1903 for time and all eternity. He always called her Sweetheart whenever he spoke to her, never by her given name. As kids, I guess we thought that was her name 'til we grew older. They spent a few days in St. George and went through the Temple again, doing work for others. Then they returned to Lund. George worked for Joe Judd on the Barnes ranch about sixteen miles from Lund for two years. Their daughter Lula was born 23 September 1904 at Grandma Terry's house in Lund.

George's father was called on a Mission to the Central States so George moved back to Lund to take care of his farm while he was away. They rented the old Cripps house to live in. Their daughter Tressa was born there 22 April 1906. After this they bought a lot of their own and built an adobe house on it, making the adobes themselves. They lived in it for a number of years. Their son Andrew Jensen was born here 23 October 1908 and their daughter Jetta 10 November1910.

About 1915 they sold their home and bought sixty acres out west of town near the now dry bed of the old White River. In later years the adobe house was bought by Vern and Luella Fawcett Whipple and they built completely around it leaving the old house in the middle.

George and Anna and their family boarded up a tent to live in and started clearing the sagebrush off their sixty acres. They dug a well for culinary and irrigation water. George dug the well with the team and scraper. When he got down twenty-one feet he struck an underground river. You could walk right down to the water. He could pump all day and it never went dry. He had a six inch pipe and plenty of water for his farm. He pumped it with a diesel engine.

People laughed at them when they moved out there. That sort of thing was unheard of in those days. People came clear from Salt Lake City to see that well and its large stream of water.

We were always a together family, everyone worked together and cleared the land and planted grain and alfalfa. Then they had a large truck garden and hauled the fresh vegetables to Ely and the mines to sell them. It took three days to make the trip. We would gather and bunch the vegetables and load them in the wagon under wet burlap and put the big tarp over the top. At daybreak the next morning we were on our way, camping at Murry Summit that night. There was plenty of good cold water there to freshen up the burlaps. The next day we would go into town and sell the vegetables door to door. Then do the shopping and go back to the summit for the next night and on home the third day. It was thiry-six miles from Lund to Ely. There were miles of sagebrush west and south of the farm so of course there were plenty of jack rabbits to destroy the crops. Every night the children would go sit at the bottom of the grain patch and shoot the rabbits as they came in out of the brush.

The children had to go two and one half miles into Lund to attend school. They walked most of the time. We only had one saddle horse so when the weather was bad two of them would ride half way and tie the horse for the other two to ride the last half of the way.

Anna sold dishes for a dish company for many years. She had a catalog and would take orders from the people of Lund. The dishes would arrive in huge wooden barrels. She received a commission on each order which really helped the finances and then she was given a choice of premiums with each order so she collected many beautiful things for her home. Many of them are still treasured by her children.

On 25 March 1919 another son, Ferdin, was born. He was a joy to all the family. The other children being pretty well grown up, there was plenty of help with the new baby.

In the fall of 1920, Bryant Ashby came and offered to trade his place on 4 mile for theirs. The war was on and the price of fuel was getting so scarce and high priced they could hardly break even. His place had some springs on it and a small reservoir. So they traded. George did a lot of work on the springs and enlarged the reservoir and had a good stream of water flowing into it. The next spring they planted crops but the rabbits were even thicker here than they were on White River. Also money was so tight it was almost impossible to sell anything and everything was rationed that they had to buy.

They heard about a farming project two hundred miles to the north in Metropolis, Nevada. So they sold their place and loaded everything they could into wagons and headed for a new home. George drove a four horse outfit and Anna drove one. Tressa and a brother-in-law, Rennie Whitehead drove the cows. They were two weeks making the trip.

They lived in Metropolis until 1937. Four of their children had married. They had so many hardships fighting drouth, rabbits, grasshoppers, squirrels and crickets that they finally decided to give up farming and go with their son Andrew to Beaver, Utah and run a garage.

In Beaver they bought the nicest home they had ever had. Seven rooms for just three of them so they rented part of it out to help with the finances.

While in Beaver they received a call to go on a mission to the St. George Temple. They spent five years there as ordinance workers. After their release they were sent each winter by the Beaver 3rd Ward to live in one of the Temple cabins and do work for the dead. Between them they did over six thousand names. They were in the Temple when Anna became ill and was taken to the hospital. She passed away Dec. 28, 1957. The next year George married his brother Wilford's widow, Verdie Terry, and they continued to go to the Temple. George passed away in February 1967. They are both buried in the Beaver City cemetery side by side.

George and Anna worked in the church auxiliaries all their lives, mainly in the Sunday School and Relief Society. Both were members of the Ward choir in Lund, Metropolis and Beaver. George sang tenor and was a member of the first choir organized in Lund by his father William. They were active in the Farm Bureau and George held local, county and state positions in it.

THEIR CHILDREN: Lula returned to Ely to work and married John Leyden in October 1924. He was a machinist and helped to build the Boulder Dam. Eventually they went to Bremerton, Washington and he got a job in the Navy yard where he stayed until retirement. They still live in Bremerton and enjoy traveling about the country in their camper. They have two sons and one daughter, eight grandchildren and recently became great grandparents.

Tressa finished high school in Metropolis and attended the University of Nevada in Reno, becoming a school teacher. She was a charter member of Lund High School when it was first started with Mrs. Chism as the teacher. On 22 April 1925, she married Clarence Hyde in the Salt Lake Temple. They lived on the Warm Creek Ranch in Clover Valley for many years; had four children. In later years they bought the home they now live in in Wells, Nevada where Clarence served as High School Custodian for twenty years. Now retired he enjoys gardening and woodworking while she follows in the footsteps of her mother doing all kinds of hand work besides her busy schedule in the Church. Their fourteen grandchildren and sixteen great grandchildren all have at least one article made by each of them and most of them two or three. Tressa now serves as the Wells Ward Librarian.

Andrew married a teacher who came to Metropolis to teach music, Lyla Wixom. They moved to Beaver, Utah and ran a garage business for amny years. They were the parents of six children. A few years ago, Lyla was killed in a freak accident with a lawn mower. In a couple of years Andrew married Edla Johnson, a trained nurse. They carried on in the garage until June of 1978, when they sold the business and retired. In October they were called to a work mission in the Holbrook, Arizona Mission, where he keeps the fleet of cars used by the missionaries in running order and she helps out at the hospitals on the reservations.

Jetta married Bruce Land and lived at the Highway Maintenance station at Primeaux, Nevada for many years. Upon retirement they bought a home in Carlin, Nevada and she served as Treasurer for the City for several years. They had three children.

Ferdin enlisted in the Air Force after graduation from high school and served all through World War II. He became a radio technician. Upon his return to civilian life he got a job in the Navy yard in Bremerton, Washington and continued on with his radio work. He married Florence Granville, a girl from Pennsylvania. They have five children. Now retired, he still lives in Bremerton and enjoys himself in tending his grandchildren and sewing, an art he picked uplater in life and has become quite an expert.

Written and submitted by:
Tressa Terry Hyde