It was the year 1907 when my father Henry Gubler mounted his horse and started out from Santa Clara, Utah and headed for Nevada. Across the Mesquite covered hills and desert to Modena; then Pioche, Nevada, a now booming mining town; across the mountain passes to Bristol Wells; Coyote Springs; more desert to the Sunnyside Ranches; then on to the newly named town of Lund. His uncle, J. J. Gubler, had promised him work on his cattle ranch which had enticed him to leave the hot sultry Dixie Country.

He lived that first summer in a tent behind the rock home of Jake and Agnes. Dad was an industrious young man and I'm sure he earned his board and keep.

A few years previous, 1901, my mother, Ann Elizabeth Vance, had moved from St. George, Utah with her family. Being a young girl of sixteen, she found employment in homes of women with new babies. Her job was to care for the mother, new baby, other members of the family, plus the cooking, washing, ironing and other household duties. The wages being from 50 cents to $1.00 per week, and sometimes she was asked to take produce, such as flour, sugar or beans for pay, which she would contribute to the up-keep of her family. In 1905-06, Mother went to Salt Lake City to stay with her sister Sarah where she found a job with the Walker family as a dining room maid. This was her first taste of wealth and social graces. While she was living there, Mr. Walker bought one of the first cars to come into Salt Lake.

After she returned to Lund, she went to help Agnes Gubler when Charles was born. It was here that she and Dad met and fell in love. They were married August 18, 1908. In Sept. of the same year, they were sealed in the St. George Temple and remained in Santa Clara for one year. It was here that they decided that Dad should go to school at Cedar City and finish his schooling. He had a successful year at school being on their track team that took first place in the state,1910.

After returning to Lund, they decided to seek their fortune in the now fast developing "BoomTown" of Ely. Here he found employment at the Meat Market of Jacksons and Nevans. Later at the Ice Plant working for a Mr. Hogue. While living in Ely, two of their children were born; Kenneth and Lucille. They then moved to Ruth where he had been offered employment by Consolidated Copper Co. Twelve miles of pipeline was to be laid from Ward Mountain to the Ruth and Kimberly townsites. He worked here for three to four years, during which another daughter, Thelma, was born. After the pipeline was finished, he decided to go back to farming in the Lund area. So in the spring of 1917 they bought the Mathis farm at Lund and moved back to raise their family. During the next eleven years, four more children were born to them; Merrill, Edmund, Melvin and Anne.

The early days in Lund were typically pioneer. Everyone worked hard to make a living. Dad freighted his produce; hay, grain, eggs, butter, vegetables and meat to Ruth, Copper Flat, Reipe Town, Kimberly and Ely. It would take three to four days to make a round trip with four horses pulling two wagons.

Dad was always quite politically minded and always did his part and more towards promoting new projects and programs in the community. He served many years as a school board member and president. It was through his efforts that the first piped water was enjoyed at the Elementary School. About 1923-24, William Hutching, Wilford Terry and Dad, under the direction of Fred Bourne, built the water cistern, which supplied pure water to a drinking fountain and in-door flush toilets. These replaced the irrigation ditch and Harrison's water barrel and the old three-holer privy.

Life in Lund raising seven children was never dull. Dad and Mother always had a beautiful and early garden, due to their hot-beds for plants and untiring efforts. There was always a goodmarket for fresh vegetables in the mining towns. Seems Dad was on the freight road a good deal of the time. We always looked forward to his return trips and the surprises he'd bring. The first corn flakes, peanut butter, firecrackers or a pair of new shoes will long be remembered and appreciated.

Mother and Dad were determined each of their children would receive proper schooling and made every effort to support each child who had a desire to continue their education. Mother took in boarders, cooked school lunches, did anything to make a dime. The years 1932-33, when the oil asphalt road was extended from Black-Jack thru Preston and thru Lund, Mother and Dad boarded the Supervisors ot the construction crew to support Thelma and Merrill at college. Edmund went to Logan the next year, then the Second World War began and he enlisted in the Air Force the next year. Melvin soon followed by enlisting in the Air Force also. Merrill joined the C.A.P. Kenneth had been taking an electrical course from L. L. Cooke correspondence. He installed and wired our home using a gasoline powered engine. So we were happy to have our kerosene lights replaced by electric lights and a few electrical machines such as the first Maytage(gasoline motor) in Lund replaced with an electric one, milk separator, toaster, flat-iron, etc. Dad did the town separating for several years, the cream being sent to the Dairy Business in Ely. Dad, using the separated milk, had a good hog and chicken business, which was quite profitable.

As Dad was losing his help on the farm, he let Kenneth take over the farm and he went back to Ruth to work for Kennecott in 1936. Here they remained until his retirement in 1956, when they were called to fill a three year mission at the St. George Temple as Ordinance Workers. They were a bit hesitant at first, feeling incapable, to do the things they had been waiting all theirlives to do when this day of retirement would finally come to them. After much consideration and prayers, they drove to St. George and began to serve Nov. 30, 1956. These years proved tobe their most happy and satisfying, bringing pride and joy to themselves, their chilren, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. They served till 1960 as Ordinance Workers then continued living in the Temple Cottages and doing Temple Work until 1964, when Dad was accidentally killed August 1 at Ely, Nevada.

Mother spent the summer months with her children but kept her cottage in St. George for the winter months and continued her work at the Temple.

Dad and Mother did a lot of traveling, mostly by plane, which they both loved. They accepted the progress of traveling from horse and buggy days to the most modern and were ready to go at the first invitation. Their lives were most fulfilling, always busy, ready to give service to the Lord and their fellow men. Mother should have been a doctor, her natural instincts and home remedies were a sure cure for most any ailment. What Dr. Pierce's Doctor Book couldn't tell her,she could figure it out and bring relief to anyone in need. Mother's health began to fail due to cancer surgery in 1972. She spent the remainder of her days at the home of her daughter's, Anne in El Dorado Hills, California and Lucille Terry's at Lund. Just ten years after Dad had left, she passed away August 22, 1974. They left a family of seven children, 28 grandchildren, 40 great-grandchildren, of which many have excelled in different fields.

Children and grandchildren:

Kenneth married Marguerite Felt: George, John, Charmayne

Lucille married Kelly Harrison: Carolyn, Janet, Claudia, Warren

Thelma married Steve James: Steven, David, Beverly

Merrill married Wenona Bishop: Nadine, Laurnal, Ronald, Noreen, Judy

Edmund married Mildred Cannon: Bonnie, Jennifer, Roger, Georgia, Alan

Melvin married Eva Yates: Kathie, Randall, Karen, Jeffrey

Elizabeth Anne married Robert Stever: Ronald, Douglas, Debra Anne, Michael

Written and submitted by:
Lucille Gubler Terry