Herbert "Bert" Allred and Margaret Estella Black were born in Spring City, Sanpete Co., Utah. Herbert was born January 12, 1881. Stella was born March 11, 1884. They grew up in Spring City, attending grade school there. Herbert also attended college in Ephraim, Utah for a short period of time, learning the Veterinary trade.

Herbert and Stella's families were next door neighbors throughout their childhood; and, on June 15, 1904 they were married.

After they were married, Herbert worked as a sheep-tender in the mountains east of Spring City during the summer months and in the winter months he tended sheep in the desert, west of Spring City. He also found work in the coal mines of Carbon County.

A son and daughter were born while they lived in Utah: Legrand, June 9, 1905 and Noma Madge, August 17, 1907.

May 1914, Herbert, Legrand (who was nine years of age), and a friend Tom Baxter left Spring City to travel to a small community in Nevada where they were to make a new home for the family.

The Allreds had learned about the farming community through Herbert's brother, Thomas Allred, and their cousin, Ervin Allred, who owned a farm at Blue Eagle, Nevada.

They brought all of their belongings by team and wagon, spending most of two weeks enroute. One evening, as Legrand was tending the team of horses, a wild mustang charged him, chasing him into their camp.

Stella and Noma, who was seven years of age, remained in Spring City until Herbert sent word for them to come to Nevada. They traveled by train to Ely, arriving there June 8, 1914. They spent the night in the Renshaw rooming house. The next day Herbert and Legrand picked them up and they traveled by team and wagon to their new home in Preston.

Their first home was a humble cottage on the east side of the small town; and their next door neighbors were the Whitlocks, Hyrum and Marilda, and the Lauritzens, Peter and May.

Herbert purchased a field two miles south of town and raised crops and livestock which he freighted by team and wagon to Ely to sell or trade for commodities. Since it took some three days to make the journey to and from Ely, two nights had to be spent in well below zero temperatures and stormy conditions. Stella and the children re-. call having the chores to do when Herbert was on the road.

In 1918 they purchased the home owned by Peter and May Lauritzen; and since it was located just across the road from their present home, they didn't have far to move. The new home provided them with four good sized rooms, and was a nice improvement over their first home.

Herbert and Stella were blessed with another baby February 25, 1922, when another daughter, Virginia Joy, was born to them. She was one of the fortunate babies to be ushered into the world by Margaret Windous.

The Allreds' lives were busy. They contributed toward town improvements, along with theother residents, and were active in all the school and church functions. Herbert used his knowledge and was often asked to help in caring for sick livestock in the area. At one time he had to take painful rabies inoculations because the animal he had administered to had been bitten by a rabid coyote.

Both Herbert and Stella held church positions. Stella served as a counselor in the Primary organization. She was president of the Mutual Improvement Association and secretary in the Relief Society organization for twenty-one years, serving under three presidents: Nettie Bradley, Nettie Hermansen and Violet Petersen.

Stella could always be depended upon to furnish food for any occasion. Ice cream was made by the gallons in her kitchen for benefits and activities in the community. She also spent her share of time selling war bonds.

Herbert worked in the Sunday School superintendency as a counselor.

He was talented at playing the guitar; and, he and Stella taught their younger daughter, Virginia, songs of their youth. He and Virginia were asked to perform for various occasions. Herbert was a deputy sheriff for over twenty years.

Herbert and Stella experienced sadness in their lives when their son Legrand,who was thirty-seven years of age, was killed when a horse he was riding fell with him, breaking his neck. He left a wife, Blanche, and two young sons, Bob and Earl.

May 11, 1944 the Allreds went to the Manti Temple and were sealed for time and eternity there.

If one single tribute could be paid this couple, perhaps the poem by Sam Walter Foss, "The House By the Side of the Road" would suffice.

Their home was truly a "Hospitality" house. Everyone who entered was invited for a meal no matter what the time, day or night. A bed could be provided, too, for the weary traveler; and, this included a special Indian friend from White River, Lizzie Lee. Some of the Allred's choice friends were the Indian people of the area. The door was open wide to rich man, poor man, andyes, even to the beggar man. All were treated equally.

Herbert's team of horses were on call at all hours for the traveler who might get stalled in those snow drifts between Lund and the Wire Corral.

Stella enjoyed a hobby of collecting and memorizing poetry. She was proficient at memorizing and loved to recite poetry to her family. One of her cherished treasures was a medal she had won in her 8th grade class for excellence in the delivery of poetry and verse.

Herbert could well be remembered, by many, for his love of little children. He always had either a coin or candy for all the children he met. He could have been known as the early days "Candy Man".

The Allreds saw 45 years come and go at their house on the hill in Preston. They moved to Ely in 1959 and both of them passed away there; Stella, August 23, 1965 and Herbert, February 13, 1967.

Legrand was married to Blanche Jensen; Noma to George Windous; and Virginia to Neil Gardner Jr. They had at the time of their death, six grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

Written and submitted by:
Virginia Allred Gardner