Hyrum David Whitlock, the third child and only boy in a family of six, was born in Chester, Utah, November 12, 1883 to Andrew Hyrum and Ann Maria Draper Whitlock.

He was of a polygamy family and was not around his father very much. His mother had to work very hard to take care of her family. She sewed, crocheted and even tanned deer hides and made beaded gloves from them. One man who only had three fingers came each year for his gloves which he declared no one could make like she did.

Hyrum attended Utah schools and loved to ride in the buggy with his father what little he was around him. He also enjoyed going to his father's sheep herds and be with the men.

His homes were very poor, and he was born in a one room log cabin that had formerly been a granary. They later had a little two room log house with a root cellar.

When he was small he got a bone fellon on his arm. This was very painful and his mother would work to save money to take him to another doctor, all of which wanted to amputate his arm but he would not stand for this. Consequently he had his arm in a sling for years. Later he did go and have the little bone of his right arm removed which left him with a crippled hand the rest of his life.

His father did send a few buckskins and some material to his mother and that was all the help they had after the father moved his first family to the Indian Reservation at Fort Duchesne. So the children all had to work to help ends meet, too.

Hyrum did go to the Reservation later on and worked there with his father and half brothers.

In 1899 he came to Nevada, arriving in Osceola Christmas Eve. It took them two days to go from there to the Georgetown Ranch. In 1899, 1900 and 1901 he drove mail to Hamilton. On one trip it was 40 below and everyone thought he had died but he had driven several head of horses and walked all the way to keep from freezing.

In 1902 he went to the Reservation, then Provo, Idaho and other Utah places, and returned to Nevada in 1906. He lived in Nevada until 1952 when he moved to Utah with his wife who was in the last stages of cancer.

September of 1910 he married Marilda Terry Lauritzen in the Salt Lake Temple. She had been married before and her husband died and left her with two small boys. Hyrum took these two boys, Terry and Willis (Bill), and raised them with his own children: Vonda (Rogers), Rayand Jack Whitlock and Virginia (Kenyon). Ray died in 1932.

The family moved to Lane City and Ely, and operated a dairy where he had two years hard going during the Harding administration. He lost everything he had put in to the business.

Then they moved back to Preston where they lived until 1952.

During these years he drove mail to Ely, Sunnyside, Duckwater, farmed and operated a store and was the Postmaster. He worked very hard and had a number of illnesses and operations.

He was never too busy to lend a helping hand. One spring the Bishop got up in church and said they needed help at the church. Hyrum went for a number of days and worked there, being the only man who showed up. Men going past would call to him and say they would like to help but it was a bad time of the year and their farms needed them there working. Hyrum's farm work needed doing too but he felt that the Lord's work came first.

He was generous and faithful and honest; in fact, too much so that he lost much money in the store for trusting people. One family came each day and had run out of gas, so he took a can and the woman with two packs of cigarettes to her car. She could charge gas and cigarettes and have him take her but they moved away and never paid him a penny.

There was never a funeral for anyone near or far that he and his wife did not go to. No one needed help in sickness or death but what he was there to help in any way he could. He never cheated anyone, and was a good kind man all his life.

Moving to Logan, Utah in 1952, he lost his wife with cancer. Several years later he married Esther Anderson Corbridge Buckley. She had six sons and he was a father and grandfather to her family as well as his own and Marilda's. All of them loved him very much and appreciated him and his goodness to their mother and all he came in contact with. He was ever lending a helping hand as always.

He worked in various positions in the Church and it is said he was the only one in his Stakethat had 100% home teaching for three years.

His wife died after 14 years with her, so he lived alone then.

He got pneumonia and was hospitalized and died in Logan, Utah and was buried there in February 1975 by the side of his first wife, Marilda.

He was truly a wonderful husband, father, grandfather, friend and neighbor.

Written and submitted by:
Vonda Whitlock Rogers