After the Tom Allreds moved to Preston, Sylvia and Collier Turner and son Ned joined them within a few months. Mrs. Allred and Mrs. Turner were sisters. The Turners had been living at Currant Creek, working for Joe Saborn and the Manson Ranch. They first lived in a very small log house directly east of the Peter Lauritzen home, that was later bought by Herbert and Stella Allred. After a few years Turners built the cement house west of town which Chris Hermansen later bought. Two more sons, David Horton and Collier Giles, Jrs., were born in Preston. Collier worked for various ranches in Preston, did some leasing and built up a good sized band of sheep from "leppy lambs" which we found abandoned in Jakes Valley.

We often talk of the many good times we all had while living in Preston such as the time we stuffed the chimney of the school house with wet gunny sacks and smoked the place so badly that school was dismissed until it could be aired out. Of course we were all in the "dog house" for some time. And Halloween did not go unnoticed.

Then there were the rabbit hunts on New Year's Day, or the great fun everyone had on the 24th of July--free barbecue, races, games of all sorts. I remember one contest was for the wives to run a race down the road, build a fire, cook bacon and eggs for their husbands and bring it back. The lady who did it in the shortest period of time and did not get dirt or ashes in the food would be the winner. Some ladies couldn't get the fire to burn, others got ashes in the food, or broke the egg yolk, etc. It all counted against the contestant. My Aunt Sylvia won the race.

Dolph Walch had three boys, Eldon, Floyd and Willis, who lived just beyond Turner's house. The kids all walked together going to and from school. One day the Walch boys decided to have some fun with Ned, but because he would not fight they decided to dunk his head in the creek. Their timing was a little off and they almost drowned Ned. After that the teacher would excuse Ned from school five minutes early so he could beat them across the creek and home. As kids will do, we thought we had to retaliate, so when we caught Eldon alone we proceeded to hang him by his heels. The outcome of it all may have been drastic had not Mr. Bruno, Eldon's grandfather, appeared at the right moment.

When Allreds moved to Willow Grove the Turners did also and Collier worked on the ranch. Mrs. Turner did the cooking, cared for the children, etc. while Mrs. Allred worked outside, riding and caring for the stock.

One of the memorable incidents which I recall was when Ned, Faunece and Adelaide decided to go rabbit hunting. They had two 22 rifles, one taking a 22 long shell, the other a short. The shells got mixed up, the wrong size shell getting stuck in Ned's gun. In trying to dislodge the shell the gun discharged and the bullet went through Ned's foot. We always called Aunt Sylvia"Petie" and as we were walking home, Ned bare footed with black sock and shoe in hand,Faunece ran ahead and as she arrived at the house, crying, she said, "Oh, Petie, please don't hang sister, she did not mean to shoot Ned." Of course, she did not bother to explain it was only his foot, and no bones had even been hit. His mother nearly fainted on the spot.

About 1918 Collier and his brother Ormus leased the Berryman Ranch on White River. It was while they lived on this ranch that their youngest son, Collier Jr., was born at Mrs. Windous'home.

After Jess Gardner bought Willow Grove the Turners moved to Ely. Collier worked as maintenance man at the White Pine Hospital for several years and then went to Boulder City during the dam construction. He later worked in Reno as security guard for the Palace Club before retiring in Carson City where he died.

Collier, Jr. played football for Boulder City High School, and was selected on the all-state team a few weeks before he became ill with leukemia. He died shortly before graduating from Boulder City High School and is buried in Ely.

Dave served in General Patton's Fifth Army during the war, was taken prisoner and spent sixteen months as a guest of the Germans. Following the war he returned to Carson City where he still lives. He has one daughter, Sheri, and one granddaughter, Emily, also living in Carson City.

Ned was in the CB's during the war and spent most of the time in the Aleutian Islands. When he returned to Carson he married, and worked as Traveling Auditor for the Nevada Industrial Commission for a short time. He was elected Clerk of the Supreme Court for three 4-year terms before Governor Sawyer appointed him to the Nevada Gaming Control Board, from which job here tired in 1967. He now lives in Reno, is resident agent for several insurance companies, invests in real estate and "plays golf". Ned has no children.

An early photo of the Horton family (Mrs. Allred, Mrs. Turner and others) appears in the 1978 Nevada Magazine Calendar, month of December. This was taken before either of the girls were married.

Written and submitted by:
Adelaide Allred