"Between 9 and 10 a.m., our family left Price City, Washington County, Utah, on the 18th day of June 1902. My father, George William Fawcett; my mother, Louisa Eardley; sisters, Clara and Ada; and my brother, John and Edward and myself were headed for White River, Nevada. We arrived in Lund, Nevada on the 28th of June, just 10 days after leaving Price City.

"The first night out we stayed at Grandfather Eardley's on the road to Cedar. The place is unoccupied now. We left John Eardley's the next morning at 10 o'clock. We went west and stopped at Dodge Spring, a bathing resort. We were using a mare of Grandfather Eardley's until we got to Pine Valley. John Eardley the III, my cousin, went as far as Diamond Valley with us then he went back to his home in St. George.

"Father got a horse from a Lytle brother at Diamond Valley and after my cousin went back to St. George, I rode the plug of a horse we bought at Diamond Valley and drove a cow and a heifer all the way to Lund, except for about an hour when Ed rode. I was 16 years of age at that time.

"A dead-X wagon was the type of covered wagon we had. John drove the single span and Father drove the double span of horses and had two wagons. We had 3 wagons and 7 horses. We brought a hen with a brood of chickens with us.

"There was exceptionally good feed all the way to White River. We carried water in barrels for the family and animals.

"When we arrived at Modena we met Orrin Snow and his daughter, Alice Redd. They were on their way to White River also. We came by way of Rose Valley and Bristol Springs. We arrived at the Lewis Ranch at 10 o'clock at night. Harry and George Lewis told us to feed our animals there. The next morning we left at daylight and came as far as Six Mile that day. Thevalley was beautiful, with plenty of white sage, weeds and grass.

"Our brother, George, had come to White River at age 26, three years before, along with Heber Smith. George met us a Six Mile and brought Mother, Clara, Ada and Ed to Lund. Then Father, John and 1 brought the animals and our outfit in a little later.

"We came to a large horse corral a little southwest of Ab Gubler's place. The posts on that corral were tied together with rawhide.

"When we came into Lund, we came in on the upper street where Pete and Elinor Gardner and Fern Sinfield live. There were no gravel streets, only an alfalfa field with chuck-holes. As we passed the George M. Burgess home (a rock house on the lot where Dick Gunderson now lives) 1 heard singing. They were having choir practice after Sacrament Meeting. Will Terry was the choir director and Lucy Burgess the organist. In those days they held choir practice in the homes where people had an organ.

“I rode my horse down the street by Smith's, where Isabella Chesnut lives now and where my brother George lived, in the house just east of Smith's.

"We pitched our tents and lived for a while on the lot where J.L. and Dawn Whipple now live. We didn't like to live so close to the big ditch so bought the lot where 1 now live, across the street north of Joe Oxborrow. Jim and Mary Oxborrow live in the Oxborrow home now.

"Father had been to Lund in 1900, so for two years had been making plans to move to WhiteRiver (as this valley was then called) but still we left Price City without selling our property there.

"When we moved here, Tom Judd was living in a house by the Lund Spring. He was making plans to leave Lund and had already bargained to sell to Adolphus Whitehead. Tom Judd and his family and Mr. Barnum, a man who worked with Judd, left here after the 24th of July, 1902. I think they left here about the first of August."



I would like to pay tribute to Claude Fawcett: All the years he lived in Lund alone, after his parents and brothers and sisters had left, he remained true to his religious convictions and was ever willing to serve no matter what position he was called to fill. At one time when there was little Priesthood activity in this ward, he served as Presiding Elder of the ward.

Not only was he a student of scriptures, but he improved himself academically. The many years he was school janitor he studied many books available in the school libraries, especially was he interested in Geography.

Claude lived in Lund alone until unable to care for himself then his niece from St. George, Utah, Beatrice Wallace took him there where he lived until his death in April, 1977.

Recorded and submitted by:
Helen C. Gardner