About this time (February 13, 1898), my father, Thomas Judd, was called by the first Presidency of the Church to go into Nevada to colonize three small towns, which had been outlined by the Church. Before he could leave for Nevada he had to sell his home in order to meet his financial obligations. He had the home up for sale for months and was unable to even get an offer for it. At this time quarterly conference was being held at St. George and Mathias Cowley of the Council of the Twelve was the visitor from the Church headquarters. He was staying at our home while in St. George. While there Apostle Cowley lead in the morning prayers and he prayed that Father would be able to sell his home soon so he could take care of his obligations before leaving for Nevada. A few days after this George E. Miles acquired sufficient money to purchase our home. This has always had a great effect on my life and convinced mewithout a doubt that through prayer and the power of the priesthood that prayers will beanswered.

Father went to Nevada in 1898 but the family didn't move out until the spring of 1899 afterthe home was sold.

Father purchased the Home Ranch at Lund, Nevada, which contained several log cabins, corrals and about 100 acres of farm and pasture land. Bert went with us as his mother died July 6, 1898.

John, Bert and I had had very little training in farming or manual labor up to this time, but we got some real experience while there under Father's direction. Our hours were very regular. Bert and I would milk the cow, take care of them and the pigs, and John would take care of the horses.

George didn't go to Nevada with us. He started out one time with Father for the purpose of buying land and settling there but he got just as far as Enterprise and received a call that his baby was very sick so he went back and the baby died and he never returned to Nevada.

It was necessary that we put 8 hours of work on the farm every day, and every two weeks we'd have one day as a holiday and as we all had one or two riding horses we would go out and chase unbranded horses and coyotes. The coyotes, we'd sell their pelts as there was a county bounty and we'd sell the horses for whatever we could get. One time I sold a nice riding horse for a pair of rabbits and 50¢.

Father had Mr. Barnum plow up some land and had John, Bert and I haul off all the rocks. After we got them all hauled off, Father had Mr. Barnum plow up the land again and as many rocks came to the surface as there was before and we couldn't see the object of hauling them off again so we drew straws to see who should go tell Father that we couldn't see the need of hauling them off. It fell to me to go tell him. When I did he came out to the haystack, gave us a lecture and told us that when we got them all hauled off, if he couldn't find anything for us to do, he'd have us haul them all back on. He said he'd teach us to work if he didn't teach us another thing. After he left we harnessed up the horses and went back to hauling rocks. But the land was never used for anything while we were in Nevada.

Nicholes and Parson Co. in Nevada (known as the White River Country) borrowed money from the Church and during the depression of 1895 and 1896 they couldn't take care of their obligations so they turned the ranches over to the Church. Father went with some of the authorities to see what could be done with these ranches to see how they could get their money out of it. Father suggested they break it up into small farms. So he was sent to Nevada to survey it and have it in charge. It was sold on five year contracts.

Mr. Barnum was at the Home Ranch that Father bought and we always said we bought Mr. Lauren Barnum with the ranch.

My schooling was greatly neglected while in Nevada. The first year the nearest school was 35 miles away, but by the next year there were quite a few families moved in that had children so they made preparations for a school. Orrin Snow was the first school teacher. The school was held in a little one room log house about 12' by 14', and for the next season they constructed a building that was used for school. church and amusement hall. It was divided in the middle by a cretonne curtain. Orrin Snow taught the upper grades, which I was in, and Viola Redd taught the lower grades. There was a young lady in the same class that was named Jemima Horsley that kept coming to school with coal oil on her hair. She sat right in front of me. I warned her one day that if she continued coming to school with that oil on her hair I'd strike a match to it. A few days later I carried out my threat, and oh, what a blaze, and the excitement that it created. The teacher grabbed the cretonne curtain that divided the rooms and wrapped it around her head and smothered out the fire. They soaped the curtain good with water before removing it from her head. Her hair was about ½ inch long all over her head. The teacher talked to Father about it and Father gave me a good talking to. After that I was a good boy.

Bert and I would milk from 8 to 10 head of cows. Sometimes the cows would kick the milk over or the calves would get to the cows and get the milk. We were supposed to take a certain amount of milk to the milk house for Mother to take care of. There was a beautiful clear stream of water between the corrals and the milk house and if we didn't get the required amount of milk we stopped and filled the bucket up with water to the right amount, and Mother always got the same amount of butter and cream from it. Some times we'd stay late in town and wouldn't want to have to milk all the cows when we got home so we'd turn the calves in to those cows and then add water.

By the fall of 1902 Father had sold most of the Church property and as he thought more of his interest at La Verkin than he did of the ones in Nevada we moved back to St. George.

Written by: James Judd
Submitted by: Florence Judd Warner