While I wasn't an early pioneer of Lund, I did arrive there in the year 1906, at the age of twelve. I arrived in Ely the 29th of October 1906, after riding on a load of freight which took us eleven days the distance of one hundred and forty miles. Not remembering the name of the driver of the freight, I will call him Buck. I helped him unload the freight at Ely Mercantile. The owners of this store were pioneers of Lund and Preston, 'Dolph Whitehead and Mart Petersen. I asked Buck if he knew Earl Ashworth, who was my brother. He told me he didn't know him but told me to go ask a man he pointed out to me, who happened to be Joe Oxborrow. Joe told me, "Yes, I know him. He is my brother-in-law." It was some time before I found Earl, and Allen Wakeling was with him. In the following years, Allen and Joe became very good friends ofmine.

The next day, October 30, 1906, we left Ely for Lund. When we got to the crossroads in White River Valley, Joe and Earl took the road to Preston with the U.S. Mail. I drove a six horse team and went to Lund. Arriving there just before dark, I did not know where to go so drove through the town to a place I thought was a barn and was unhitching the teams when Joe and Earl arrived with the mail. Joe asked me, "What are you doing?" I said, "Putting the horses in the barn." Then Joe told me that it wasn't a barn but a church and school house.

My brother, Earl, was a pioneer of Lund, driving his Uncle Tom Judd and family from St.George to Lund. On December 5, 1905, Earl married Molly Oxborrow. He and his family resided in Lund until 1923 then they moved to Kimberly, Nevada then later to Las Vegas, but never did return to Lund.

In regards to happenings, I recall one: Bob Ruppe, a pioneer of Lund, wore a beard which was very white. Everyone thought he was an old man because of his white beard. One day he came to my brother Earl's home and asked for a hair cut. Earl, Molly and I talked him into letting us cut off his beard. That night we took him to a dance and introduced him as our brother and no one knew him.

The winters were very tough with a lot of snow. Another pioneer, George Gardner, would hook up his team on a scraper and clear trails all over town so the children could get to school.

In the year 1910, a herd of about 2500 cattle came from the Hot Creek Ranch on their way through Water Canyon to the railroad station in Ely. They were herded east of Lund along the hill above the Lund Spring where it was only about thirty feet wide. The cattle were strung out for about six miles.

As I recall, the Old Folks Parties started about 1908, or about when Morris and Lewis Oxborrow were born. I first went to the Old Folks' Party when I was thirty-nine years old. I have only missed six or seven parties since that time and I am now eighty years old and will try tomake the party this year, 1974, if I can.

In regards to sports in the early days of Lund: We had horse pulling contests, horse races, boxing, cock fighting and baseball. Lund's first baseball team's players were: Arthur (Art) Smith, catcher; Earl (Curly) Ashworth, first baseman; William (Bill) Ivins, second baseman; Rennie Whitehead, short stop; Ross Smith, third baseman; Edward (Ted) Oxborrow, center field; Gordon (Mick) Reid, right field and first baseman; Julius (Jule) Gardner, left field; Webster(Jim) Ashworth, pitcher; Willard Burgess, manager and umpire.

Just a few words about my very good friend, Mart Gardner, who I think is one of the most remarkable men I have ever known. Although he could not walk, he asked no quarters of any man and made a living for himself and his mother as long as he lived. One day I was with Mart and five other boys from Lund chasing wild horses west of Lund in Douglas Canyon. We let the horses drink all the water they could drink, then when they would run about three hundred yards they would be winded and couldn't run anymore. The idea was to then rope them, but Mart was the only one who caught his horse. The remarkable thing about him was that he had to hold on to the horn of the saddle to stay on the horse so he had to depend on one hand and arm to whirl his rope. Mart, you are a wonderful man.

As for my family: I was married to Marie Oxborrow October 29, 1914. She was one of Lund's pioneers. Marie was the oldest daughter of Joe

Oxborrow and Sabra Stringham. She was born in St. George, Utah, before the family moved to Lund. The rest of her brothers and sisters were all born in Lund.

Marie and I had six children, five were born in Lund. Margaret Windous of Preston was the midwife who cared for Marie. Our children are Robert, Theo (who passed away August 13, 1938), Itha, Geneva, Gayland, and Lauri.

We moved away from Lund in 1921.

Marie, my wife, passed away in Ely, Nevada on December 2, 1949 after an illness of ten years. I remarried October 6, 1950 to Ida Wakeling in Ely. She passed away in April of 1968 after an illness of six years. I am now married to my third wife, Reta Morris Ashworth. We were married July 11, 1970 in Beaver, Utah where we are now living. We have a very happy marriage.


Written and submitted by:
Webster James Ashworth


follow this url more information