George and Rebecca Sinfield left Pinto, Utah sometime between July 4th and July 24th 1900, with a team and wagon, a few household goods and five children: Mary, Samuel, Elvin, Fernly, and George Rosco. The oldest, Mary, was ten years of age and the youngest, George Rosco, a baby of two months. It took them ten days to come that far and as they came over the "raise" south of Lund and saw the little town nestled against the foothills to the east of the valley and the lush green fields west of town, Rebecca said to George, "This is where I want to stay the rest of my life."

George had already drawn for his city lot and his farm, so they camped that night on their own lot next door to Moses and Louisa Harrison. All the rest of that summer they lived in a willow shanty for their kitchen, and a covered wagon box for their bedroom. George went to work immediately to get logs out of the mountains and started to build their first home. This was a one room log house with a dirt roof and the logs were hand hewn to make them square so they fit together snugly. The house was finished before Christmas, but not before it was beginning to get real cold. The family lived in one of Moses Harrison's rooms after it got too cold to stay in the willow shanty, until the log house was ready to move into. They really appreciated it whenthey were able to move into their own home where it was warm and away from the elements. (This little log room still stands down on the lot owned by Ern Gubler and Carl Willfong, and is used for a saddle shed.)

The children of the Sinfield family could not understand how Santa was going to get in the house, with no chimney or fireplace to come through.

As weather permitted, George began to clear his field of sage brush. This was all done by hand and was back breaking work.

The family lived in this little log house for a few years, then traded it to John Whipple for a lot and one room adobe house in the south end of town. This house was just four walls with a roof and a wood floor. There was no ceiling in it and only the adobe walls.

Before winter set in again, George had the walls plastered and they put a ceiling of unbleached muslin in which served for years. With a few coats of "kalsonine" it became thicker and thicker, so it helped to keep the cold out, and the heat in.

It was here that the last three children were born: Parley Platt, who died at the age of ten months, Benjamin Travis, and LaPreal. We lived in this house for years, and by the time LaPreal was born there had been one more room added on to it. Then several years later, another addition was made to the house. Earlier, George had built a small tent to the north of the house. The sides were boarded up, a floor in it and a shingle roof put on. This served as the boys' bedroom for years. We can all remember the many hours that the boys and their friends spent in that tent--especially in winter--playing cards or playing the old Edison Phonograph with its cylinder records, or just plain singing. We, in the house, could hear them laughing and talking into thelate hours. They had some good old times in that old tent through the years. I (LaPreal) remember one time during the winter that it snowed quite deep while the fellows were there. When it came time to go home, my dad had Henry Mathis and Mick Reid stop in at Brother and Sister Lonnie Gardner's to tell them that Mart was staying that night with our boys because the snow was too deep for Mart to walk all that way on his crutches. My dad took him home the next morning on a horse.

After George and the boys had cleared the farm of brush and the crops were in, he left a lot of the farm work for the boys to do and he had to go away from home and work for wages to provide for the family. This kept him away for a good part of the winter and made his time at home very irregular. He drove mail from Ely to Sunnyside for Orin Snow and at another time he herded sheep for Adams & McGill Co. The company would give Dad a part of a mutton from time to time, so the family was provided with meat quite often. This way they managed fairly well until their boys were old enough to go away from home to work for other men, then the pioneer struggle eased up a little, and the American home life was the program so long as he lived. In the spring of the year, he would come home and put the crops in again. He always had a nice garden too, always free of weeds. "A weed wouldn't dare grow in his garden."

Beginning with the two World Wars, the Sinfield family furnished "Uncle Sam" with five boys to help fight for our freedom. That was all the boys they had! Samuel, Elvin, and Fernly in World War I, and Rosco and Benjamin in World War II. Along with this, they gave one full time missionary to the Church, who served her mission during World War I. This was Mary, their eldest child.

Many people in town can remember when the Armistice was signed after World War I. The school children all marched around town and when we came to Sinfield's place, Sister Sinfield came out to the gate with an old tin pan and a stick. She was really pounding and making a noise. Our teacher got her in our parade. She marched all over town with us and our flags.

During this time of war and missionary service, George was more active in church duties than what he had been for some time. His bishop said at that time he was one of the most prompt and regular tithe payers of the ward.

Rebecca did get her wish to live here the remainder of her life. She died on November 9, 1945 in Ely, Nevada and is buried in the Lund Cemetery. George died on March 28, 1937 in Elyand is buried in Lund also.

As of June 1978: Mary Sinfield never married and lives in Lund. Samuel married Zella Jeffery and lives in Carson City, Nevada. Elvin never married. He died November 15, 1967 and is buried in Lund. Fernly married Lillian Ashby and lives in Lund. George Rosco never married. He died January 11, 1977 and is buried in Lund. Parley Platt died at age 10 months and is buried in Lund. (His grave was the third grave in the Lund cemetery.) Benjamin Travis married Maysie Hall. He died October 29, 1972 and is buried in Vernal, Utah. LaPreal married Darrell Leslie Thompson (divorced) and lives in Ely, Nevada.

Written and submitted by:
Mary Sinfield and LaPreal Thompson