Moses Whitaker Harrison was born October 15, 1862 in Pinto, Utah, the fifth child of polygamist Richard Harrison and his second wife, Jane Fryer Harrison. He grew up on his father's farm in Pinto, where his father was also the postmaster. After his father died, Mose took care of his mother until her death in 1898.

Louisa Adeline Ashby was born June 8, 1868 in St. George, Utah, the fifth child of Nathaniel Ashby and Mary Virginia Garr Ashby. Her parents both died when she was in her teens. Being the oldest girl at home, she kept house and did the cooking for the family. When she was twenty, Louisa went to Salt Lake City to live with her cousin, Lucy Grant, wife of Heber J. Grant. For two years she remained there helping with the family sewing. She returned home at the death ofher brother and lived with one of her sisters for the next two years.

It was at this time that Lou met Mose. They were married in the St. George Temple,December 30, 1890.

The couple lived in Pinto until 1898, where four children were born to them: Paulina (died at birth), LaVeta (December 14, 1893), Zella (March 4, 1896), and Moses Ashby (February 9,1898).

After the death of Mose's mother in 1898, they decided to move with some of their friends and other Church members to help colonize White River Valley in Nevada, land that had recently been purchased by the Church. The following year (1890) with their three children, Mose and Lou left the little mountain canyon and green meadows of Pinto and headed for Nevada.

On land purchased in the center of the town of Lund, a house was built for the Harrison family. It numbered five rooms and was made of wood brought from Taylor and adobe from the pug mill just outside of town.

Five more children were born to Mose and Lou in Lund. They were: Fred Turner (August 14, 1901), Nathaniel Antone (March 15, 1904), Zina (December 24, 1906), and twins, Kathryn and Kelly (August 7, 1909).

Education being a concern to early settlers of Lund, the Harrisons offered the use of their home for the first school. Mose served as a member of the committee to plan the school buildingin 1915. Mose was also the sheriff of Lund for many years. No one can remember him having to make a serious arrest.

Both Moses and Louisa were active members of the Latter Day Saints Church. It was a great influence and comfort in their lives as it had been to their parents. They supported the Church organizations and activities. Each of their children was baptized when they came of age.

Some happy evenings were shared with friends at their homes or Mose and Lou would send their children off to bed and invite over their good friends the Reids, Ivins, and Gardners. The evening would be spent in playing games, visiting and singing. Mose had a fine singing voice and often sang duets with his friend, Robert Reid. Louisa played the piano and taught all herdaughters to play. The boys were musical too. Ashby played the violin and Kelly played theguitar.

Other evenings the family spent together with Mose telling stories about his boyhood, to his children when they were little, and later to his grandchildren. He also loved to sing songs for them, sometimes making up his own words to familiar tunes.

Holidays were always a special time. On Thanksgiving and Christmas, the family gathered around the table for a big dinner with Mose at the head and Lou by his side, and each child or grandchild in his or her place. Louisa cooked the family dinners and the children, even after they were married and were living elsewhere, always came home for the holiday if possible.

The July 24 celebration was always a big day at the Harrisons. Since their home was in the center of town, many people would gather on their lawn to watch the parade and other events. One year Mose shaved off his bright red mustache, darkened his skin, and dressed up like an Indian to ride in the parade. Not one of his children recognized him.

In 1930, Mose became ill and remained in poor health until his death on February 20, 1932. He was buried in the Lund cemetary. He was greatly missed by family and friends alike. (Note: I remember him as being one of the kindest, most patient persons I've ever known. I can't recall ever seeing him angry with one of us. He always answered our questions and explained things that we didn't know. --Karma Lewis, Granddaughter)

In the eighteen years Lou lived after the death of her husband, she was surrounded by her children and grandchildren. She remained in the family home even after her children had all left. On June 8, 1950, she was given a party for her eighty-second birthday, attended by friends and family members. Four days later on June 12 she died at the home of her daughter, Zella. Shewas buried in the Lund cemetery next to her husband.

To date, 1979, Moses and Louisa Harrison have left the following posterity: 8 children, 14 grandchildren, 40 great grandchildren, and 17 great great grandchildren.

LaVeta went to the Hawaiian Islands to teach school. She met and married James Gibson. Two children, Betty and Rodney were born to them. After her husband's death, she moved back to Lund, then later to Opp, Alabama to be with her children. She died there May 7, 1955.

Zella married Robert L. Reid on May 17, 1922 in the Salt Lake Temple. They made their home in Lund, where four children were born to them--Karma and Kay (twins), Mary Lou, and Sheldon. Robert died in 1928 and Zella raised her children with the help of her parents and other relatives. She remained in Lund all her life and died October 23, 1964 after surgery in Salt Lake City.

Ashby grew up and spent most of his life working at a number of jobs. A number of years were spent working for Kennecott Copper in McGill. He was in the armed forces during World War II. Ashby died May 12, 1943. He left no family.

Fred married Hilda Oxborrow on February 6, 1924. They had two children, a son who died as a baby, and a daughter, Donna Mae. They made their home in McGill for many years, where Fred worked for Kennecott Copper. Later, they moved to Las Vegas, where both Fred and Hilda worked for the school district. Now both retired, they spend their time with their daughter and her family, working in the Church, and traveling to St. George to work in the Temple there.

Antone married Erma Decker on June 4, 1928. They had one son, Garey. Antone lived and worked in Ely, first as a hotel manager, then at the First National Bank. He died on December 26, 1961. Erma, a retired school teacher, lives in the family home in Ely.

Zina married Howard Warder on March 7, 1941. They have no children. Zina was a teacher for many years in White Pine County. When she and her husband moved to Colorado, she continued teaching, first in Pueblo and then in Denver. They are both retired now and continueto live in Denver.

Kathryn married Ernest Gubler on Sept. 15, 1934. They made their home in Lund where three daughters were born to them--Janice, Marsha (died as a baby) and Pamela. Ernest was a rancher until his death in 1972. Kathryn still makes her home in Lund.

Kelly married Lucille Gubler on June 29, 1935. Four children were born to them--Carolyn, Janet, Claudia, and Warren. Kelly worked on the family farm for a number of years, then was employed at Kennecott in Ruth. He is now retired and lives in Ely.

The posterity of Moses and Louisa Harrison have become scattered about the U.S. from Alabama to Alaska, Idaho, and Utah, but most of them still remain in Nevada where they have made their homes.

Written and submitted by:
Karma Reid Lewis and Carol Lewis