A little humble pioneer home in Sugar House Ward of Salt Lake City was made happy one cold day in December when the first baby girl, Martha Ann, came to gladden the hearts of Isaac and Ann Newling Hunt on December 11, 1856. A few more years were spent here and other children came to this home, until in the fall of 1861 when Martha Ann was five years of age, the family moved with a number of other families to colonize St. George, Utah. Among these families was that of Charles A. Terry.

The little colony laid out the beautiful city of St. George into city blocks, cleared off the sage brush, broke up the rich land and took water from the big spring to water their crops. The warm and even climate of the new country made it possible to raise crops which had been impossible in the Sugar House District. Among these was cotton which the children learned to pick.

The first school which Martha attended was in a willow bowery, but they enjoyed their school work quite as much as our children of today. Their schools with all of our modern conveniences.

As Martha grew in stature and experience she learned not only to pick the cotton from the fields but to pick the seeds from the cotton and to card and spin it as well. Sister Hunt was a very busy mother with a large family of nine children. All her time was taken up, for she had to weave the cloth with which to make their clothing. One day during her weaving she left the house a few minutes and Martha thought now is the chance to see if I can weave. So she took up the shuttle and wove back and forth till mother called from the door, "O my goodness, I'll bet you have broken every thread." Martha more than half frightened said, "No I haven't, Mother." And much to Sister Hunt's surprise the weaving was as good as she could do herself. So from that time on it was Martha's task to weave the cloth for all their clothing. After months of experience she could weave a yard a day. And with styles more ample in those days, it took many a day to weave enough material for one dress, or a suit of men's clothes. But the thread from which it was woven was so much better than we have today that it was not necessary to make clothes as often as now.

Isaac Hunt had two wives each with large families and so the children found employment out of the home as soon as possible. Martha worked in a tailor shop for some time and learned to make all kinds of wearing apparel as well as her father's suits. This training was worth so much to her in the later years in caring for her own family.

Martha was a very popular young lady, never lacking boy friends to take her to the dances and house parties and Sunday evening services. One young man whom she cared a great deal for asked for her hand in marriage, but as Martha was a young woman of high ideals and as this young man had the habit of partaking too freely of Dixie wine which was produced in abundance in St. George, she sorrowfully declined his offer and turned her affections elsewhere.

The next young man for whom she had serious feelings was a fine fellow, but his desire was that they marry and live with his mother. This Martha quite frankly refused to do and so her heart was free again.

Then came one who as a child went to St. George at the time the Hunt family did. One with whom she had gone to school hand in hand that first day under the old willow bowery, Wm. Alanson Terry. One night, as they were walking home together, in the course of their conversation, Martha said, "0 gosh Will," and that, he later remarked, was the beginning of their courtship. They were married March 15, 1877 in the St. George Temple. They moved into a two room adobe house which Bro. Hunt built for his daughter, he being a mason by trade.

Polygamy was still practiced in Utah at this time. Bro. Terry's father had two wives and as stated before, Bro. Hunt had two. One day, after Martha and Will had been married about seventeen months, we can imagine her feelings when Will came home, dressed himself in his Sunday best and said to her, "If I'm not back by the time sun has set all over town, you will know I've gone to get married." Imagine if you can what thoughts were in her mind as she sat on the door step that evening with her baby, Sarah Ann, in her arms and watched the sun go down all over town. As twilight came on she gathered her baby closer to her aching heart and walked to her father's home. He immediately asked, "Where is Will?" She answer, "Gone to get married. "Bro. Hunt knew what sacrifices his daughter would have to make and what her sorrows and hardships would be, so putting his arm about her, he said, "Be brave my girl, be brave." So Willand Mary Elizabeth Baker came home that night of August 24, 1878 to the little two room adobe house. Here they lived together until Martha had three children and Mary two, then it became necessary for one wife to move. So Martha in her unselfishness moved out of the little home her father had given her and took up her abode elsewhere.

Many were the trials she was called upon to bear, sickness, death, and heart breaking toil to help sustain her family and often loneliness as Bro. Terry spent part of his time with Mary and part away freighting to add to his income as a farmer for two wives and seventeen children were a never ending drain on his finances.

Martha parted with two of her children by death and each suffered so intensely with what we now call ruptured appendix that she said if the Lord saw fit to take away any more of her children she prayed that they be taken away in peace without such suffering. Then one morning she arose, made the fire, did the morning chores and ate breakfast without awakening the baby boy who always stirred at the slightest sound.

The hours slipped by, the baby was taken up and bathed and dressed, but still didn't awaken. The doctor came and went but could do nothing to save the sleeping infant. So the Lord had been merciful to Martha in answer to her prayer that the next child called home should not suffer.

When one of the little girls was ill for a long time, she begged for Santa Claus to please bring her a doll. Such things were almost unheard of where there were so many mouths to feed and so many little bodies to clothe. One day Martha went to the store just before Xmas and saw there adoll with a china head. She knew she must have that doll for the sick child but Will felt that they couldn't afford it. She did without some almost necessary things and paid for it a few cents at a time. But the joy of the child on Xmas morning amply paid for the doll with the china head. Such were but a few of the hardships endured by this patient woman.

They lived in St. George until the youngest of their twelve children was four years old, then they were called to help colonize the state of Nevada. So they traveled by team and wagon the distance of about 350 miles to their new home at what is now Lund, Nevada in the year 1898. There they took up land and became very successful farmers for seventeen years. There their twooldest children were married.

Then they moved to Alpine, Utah where they had friends who came from Nevada also, the Burgess family. Bro. Terry felt that in their declining years it would be nice for them to live nearer the head of their beloved Church. They arrived in Alpine on June 10, 1916. Sister Terry had been a Relief Society member for many many years but owing to a serious lameness in her knees she was unable to move outside her home for over fifteen years.

It became impossible for her to continue her household duties, so she and her husband lived at the home of her daughter Rose.

On March 15, 1941, Br. and Sister Terry celebrated their sixty-fourth wedding anniversary.

Written by:
Ida C. Royce

Submitted by:
Luella Fawcett Whipple