John Peckett Horsley Jr. was born July 26, 1873 at Paragona, Iron Co., Utah. He was one of the early pioneers who came to Lund with his family in 1898 at the age of 25. It was here he married Hannah Aneena Jensen September 7, 1899. She was 17 and he was 26. They were the first couple married in Lund.

Hannah Aneena Jensen was born April 15, 1882 at Nephi, Juab Co., Utah. Her father died when she was five years old, leaving her mother with three girls to raise, Hannah being the oldest one. She told me she started working in homes doing house work and tending children when she was only eight years old. When she was 16 she secured a job somewhere in Utah but needed to go by train. She had worked and saved train fare but it was some distance to where she took the train but had no way of getting there. The John P. Horsley family was ready to leave Ferron, Utah where they were living at that time. John Jr. and Hannah had dated a time or two, so the Horsleys offered to take her to the train. They had to camp one night on the way and the horses got loose. They got into a man's field and did quite a lot of damage. Hannah had to pitch in her train fare to help pay for the damage. Without train fare she had no choice but to come to Lund with the family. They promised her they would send her back with the first wagon that went that way, but each time one went only men were going. Grandma said it wasn't proper for a young girl to go with men so she wouldn't let her go.

After their marriage they purchased a lot just north of John Sr.'s home. Their first home was a tent and a covered wagon. Later they built a small log home. It was here nine of their eleven children were born. Their first son Hugh was born May 26, 1900. In March of 1901 they made a trip to Ferron to visit Hannah's mother. While they were there Hugh took sick and died April 3. He was buried in Ferron. Mother Horsley told me he was the first baby boy born in Lund.

Dad Horsley was a freighter, freighting to Ely and Modena, Utah. Sometimes he freighted with his father. His daughter Kate remembers them telling an incident that happened on one of their trips together. They had been to Modena and were on their way home when they saw some men on horses coming towards them. There were times when the freighters were held up and robbed. They were always paid in gold. Grandpa told John they couldn't lose the money; they had to hide it. He took a loaf of bread and cut one end off, took out some of the inside, put the gold coins in the bread, replaced the bread and put it in the box. The men demanded their money, but after searching them and the wagon and not finding the gold, they rode off.

Dad Horsley had the mail route about 1934 through 1938 from Lund to Sharp (now Adaven). The winter of 1936-1937 was very cold with lots of snow. Dad would take the mail to Hot Creek. His son Lynn was staying at Hot Creek so Lynn would take it on from there to Sharp by sleigh and team, but when the roads were too bad he would ride horseback from Hot Creek to Sharp and back to Hot Creek.

Mother Horsley told me she used to take a team and wagon loaded with potatoes, her smallest children, their bedrolls and a grub box, drive to the overnight campground, and sleep on the potatoes so they wouldn't be stolen. The next day she would drive to Ruth and sell her potatoes. It always tickled Mother Horsley that a number of the Ruth women were concerned about her having so many children. They gave her written home formulas to mix and take so she wouldn't have any more. She smiled and thanked them. I asked her what they were like. She laughed and said she didn't know. She always brought them home and threw them in the stove.

Dad Horsley was a farmer and had fine teams. He often hired out with his teams.

One of the things Dad Horsley was really well remembered for was his calling at the square dances. I hear he was very good. He really enjoyed a good time and was a very sociable person. Mother Horsley, on the other hand, was a very sober looking person and was content to stay home, yet she was the biggest hearted person anyone ever knew. Although she looked so sober, she had a most delightful sense of humor, or you might say a dry wit. She was a very hard working woman, couldn't stand to be idle. I have seen her time and again come in from working in the garden, covered with perspiration, go to the basin, wash her face and hands, and comb her hair. Then she would pick up her hand work. She made lots of quilts and has done lots of crocheting. She never wasted a piece of material if it was an inch square.

About 1912 or 1913, the family moved to Currant Creek where they spent a year. Their son Clarence was born while they were there. At the end of the year, they moved back to Lund.

In 1924 Kate and her mother were in the barn grinding corn for the little turkeys. Kate was told to go to the house for something. As she opened the barn door, she could see smoke rolling out of the house and yelled the house was on fire. There was a terrible wind. They hauled their water from the big ditch, two blocks east, so water was mighty short. Kate said people came so fast that they saved some of their things. In all the excitement they forgot about Lee, who was just two. He was sleeping in his parents' bedroom that had an outside door. Someone heard him crying "Mama, Mama" and saw him standing at the door. They tore the screen off and got him out. The house was completely destroyed. After this they built a cement house that is now owned by Jack and Mary Lou Hendrix.

About 1926 the family moved to East Ely. Dad Horsley moved his milk cows up there and sold milk. They were only there a year or so and moved back to Lund.

I don't know just when Dad opened a pool hall and skating rink, over where Mart's store is. He later built a pool hall on his home lot.

He was also Superintendent of the Sunday School at one time.

He and his boys hauled wood for the school for $4.00 a cord for cedar wood and $6.00 a cordfor pine.

In 1946 Dad and Mother Horsley sold their place to a government man, Kenneth Erickson, and moved to Fernley, Nevada. Dad passed away in Reno, January 5, 1948. Mother passed away January 16, 1951. They are buried in Reno.

They had eleven children, 10 boys and one girl. They raised ten and all of them are still living. Dad Horsley used to enjoy people asking him how many children he had. His answer was always the same, "I have nine boys and they each have a sister." Their children are: John Alden and Robert of Salt Lake; Arthur LeRoy, Katie Margaret Wooten and Francis Laverne of Salina, California; Willis Samuel of Reno; Clarence E. of Incline Village; Harold Lynn of Lund;Walter Ray of Rome, Georgia; and Lee Elmo of Yerington.

Written and submitted by:
Lois Hendrix Horsley